Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
lHP Pavilion All-in-One 24-xa0xxx My desktop ion 65XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, A few of my files, upon saving to location, cant be read, because it looks like they have been encrypted. I was offered a free download to fix this issue but am terrified to download it as its an unknown and not recommended site, may be ok but ??

Have attached a sample

teddy2016_0-1592902017872.png

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@teddy2016 

Can't read anything on the screen as the text is much too small.

If you're being asked to pay for something, this sounds like ransomware -- where some malware has encrypted your files and the vendor wants money to undo that.

Your are correct in being suspicious about downloading anything from a site you don't recognize.  But we have on information on recovering from the vast number of malware products.  You would need to do online searches based on the file name and other information to see if there a steps posted to recover from this.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I cant make the picture any bigger but it mainly consists of lines and lines of the letter yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

text encoding seems to be the culprit here, little knowledge on my part but somehow I, ?? must have presented  a request to encrypt files, but not all. I have completed a most comprehensive test of malware and security on the computer and all is good.

So I am not sure if ppl want their files encrypted, or the comp has made a mistake.

The files that are corrupted are files that came via an email and I have sent on to another email (mine) for filing.

HP Recommended

ÐÏࡱá> þÿ    [1]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.