Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion P7-1054
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

None of my .exe files will open.  Why?  What should I do?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Muffers 

Please provide the names of some of the apps that won't open.

HOW are you trying to run the apps?

What happens when you do that?

We can proceed when you provide the information.
Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I made a mistake. I have a Pavilion p7-1154 not 1054.  Product number  QP773AA#ABA. 

The problem with .exe files not opening begins almost immediately after turning on the computer. After windows starts my desktop appears for a split second then small windows appear for each .exe that doesn't open.  Above the window it says "you have chosen to open" and then has the name of the file.  There are 12 files that say I "have chosen to open" they are:

itunes helper, regsvr32, RUND1132, CLIStart, vprot, hpwuschd2, QTTask, STTray64, AVLaunch, pdfsty, beats64 and hpsysdrv.

They do not open, so I close them, go to my Firefox icon and click on it, click run, close another window which I "chosen to open" which is firefox.exe, then finally to my homepage. 

I tried to troubleshoot this problem but was unable to download HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows. 

Hope this is helpful to you.

HP Recommended

@Muffers 

This is not a hadware issue, so running UEFI diagnostics would not help.

Sounds like something is corrupted, most likely regarding permissions, in Win7.

This can usually be fixed by doing something known as a Repair-Install -- in which you use MS OS installation media to overwrite Windows, essentially restoring the system files.

But to do that, you need OS installation media, and with WIn7 PCs, this generally means a Win7 DVD -- and those have not been sold for some years, now.

You can try using Windows images downloaded using the tool from this site:

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Download the tool, run it, and do the following:
1) Select Windows 7 at the upper right
2) Under Select edition, if you were running Home Premium, select the Home Premium SP1 COEM
3) Click the Confirm button
4) This tool will then check the product code in your PC, and if it is OK it will put up another link allowing you to download the image file.
5) Select the product language, click confirm button
6) Select either the 64-bit or 32-bit download
7) Save the file

Once you have this, you have a choice of media to create:
1) If you can boot from CD, download and install ImgBurn and use the Write Image to Disk option to create a bootable DVD.
2) If you can boot from USB, download and install RUFUS and use the option to create a bootable USB stick from the ISO file.

You will most likely need to use the product key printed on the sticker (inside the battery compartment if not on the case) to activate the OS. If the product key is invalid, or if you need a different Win7 version, then you are out of luck as this tool is limited.

When you have created the media, DO NOT boot from it -- but instead, insert the DVD, open the folder, right-click the setup.exe file and run that.

HP Recommended

I followed your instructions to download and run windows-iso-tool but I got no farther than that.  You did give me instructions to "select windows 7 at the upper right" etc., but the only place I see this is in what appears to be an example which is showing me what to do.  Is there something else I should be doing after "run" but before "select windows7" ?

HP Recommended

I'm really sorry but I don't believe I explained my problem clearly enough. I cannot under any circumstances open an .exe file. According to your instructions, I can try to use Windows images downloaded using the tool from the site you gave me. I tried doing just that. Unfortunately, it won't work for me because it involves opening an .exe file in order to download it. Again, I am unable to do so. If you have any other possible solutions for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Muffers 

Sorry, I only found out late yesterday that the heidoc site does not work anymore ...

However, here is a thread that gives you instructions for repairing the .exe association in Win7: 

https://www.trishtech.com/2011/05/restore-exe-file-association-in-windows/

Don't use their tool; instead, perform the manual instructions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.