Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Desktop Tower 251-a244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hard drive 1 keeps coming up on my comouter showing error

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@3Tulips

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Telling us "showing error" is not really saying anything useful.

We need to know the details, beginning with the specific error message you are seeing.

And, what are you doing on the PC when this message shows?

We can proceed when you provide the information.

Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

> hard drive 1 keeps coming up on my computer showing error

your computer was shipped with just one disk-drive, not two.

Sometimes, the disk-drives are enumerated from a zero-origin, e.g., 'disk 0', 'disk 1', 'disk 2', rather than a one-origin, e.g., 'disk 1', 'disk 2', 'disk 3'.  Yes, it can be confusing.

The motherboard has several SATA ports.  So, it is possible that the CD/DVD drive is connected to 'Port 0' and the disk-drive is connected to 'Port 1'.

Anyway, if the message is "imminent failure", then you need to replace the disk-drive:

1. buy a new disk-drive, from either SEAGATE or WESTERN DIGITAL;

2. download the free "disk-cloning" software from the respective manufacturer's web-site;

3. use the software to "clone" from your current disk-drive onto the new disk-drive;

(Hopefully, the "marginally-working" status of the old disk-drive is sufficient to allow a successful copying.)

4. boot from the new disk-drive.

5. Done.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.