Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (160 Views)
Accepted Solution

how to know preinstalled os activation key

Product Name: HP Pro 3330 microtower
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
I have a hp pro 3330 micro tower which came with preinstalled Windows 8.1. Yesterday due to some reason i formatted my hdd and while doing so Reserved storage were also erased. Now when i installed 8.1 it asks for product key..
So where to find it..
I don't have any recovery DVD or anything similar..
Accepted Solution

Re: how to know preinstalled os activation key

Hi:

The W8.1 product key should be in the BIOS.

I have zipped up and attached a free utility that should give you the OEM product key in the BIOS.

Not sure why you need it though, as the key should have automatically been inserted when you installed W8.1.

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 5 (150 Views)

Hi:

The W8.1 product key should be in the BIOS.

I have zipped up and attached a free utility that should give you the OEM product key in the BIOS.

Not sure why you need it though, as the key should have automatically been inserted when you installed W8.1.

Distinguished Professor
Message 3 of 5 (117 Views)

> I don't have any recovery DVD.

I looked at: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pro-3330-microtower-pc/5160080

and that site does NOT offer to sell you a copy of the System Recovery DVD for 64-bit Windows 8.

Some people say to try:  www.ComputerSurgeons.com

to see if they have it for purchase.

> when I installed 8.1 ...

Did you use the "system recovery" partition on the disk-drive, or did you use your own "retail" Windows 8.1 DVD media?

Honor Student
Message 4 of 5 (75 Views)

>" when I installed 8.1 ...

Did you use the "system recovery" partition on the disk-drive, or did you use your own "retail" Windows 8.1 DVD media?"
As i already stated, i had formatted my HDD and my system recovery partition were also erased...
Honor Student
Message 5 of 5 (63 Views)

I also wonder why it asked as i have downloaded via link generated by microsoft support site..
Although hp support asked for ₹600 to provide with the cd and key..
No hard feelings for hp or ms since your suggestions sloved my problem... Hurray 😃
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation