Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 23-q100 All-in-One Desktop PC series (Touch)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My 10 year old son was playing games on my HP Pavilion All-in-One  23-q137cAIO system with his friends earlier today, when I got home, my wife asked me why I put a password on the computer? I said I didnt and she then realized my son and his friends must have somehow gotten into the BIOS and put a password. Now when I power on the system, a small blue window opens that says "Enter Power-On Password: with a little key next to it. The computer will not go past this screnn except to try another password or to shut it down. Needless to say my son and his friends say they dont remember what they did or what password they used. We tried for an more than an hour, trying different passwords to no avail. I looked on "youtube" and searched how to remove a "Power On" password in the BIOS, so far I learned and tried removing the CMOS battery but that didnt work. I also tried recovering the BIOS using whe WIn Key + B key, it recovered the BIOS but did not reset the BIOS, it still asks for the "Power-On" password. How can I reset this BIOS password? I saw a couple of videos that says you have to short the CMOS jumper for othe laptops and desktops, but I can not find any videos to do this for an HP Pavilion All-in-One  23-q137c. I need help badly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@A4Apollo wrote:

@CLos805,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.
You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region.
Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Regards

Mr.Robot

@A4Apollo wrote:

@CLos805,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Regards

Mr.Robot

No need I figured it out. I reset the BIOS by shorting the number 3 and 4 pins. One must take the back cover off of the PC and remove a metal cover to expose the area where the jumpers can be found. There are actually 2) sets of jumpers on the motherboard, which are located just above the HDMI port. There is also a small black anti-static I/O sticker that covers the areas between the ports as well as the jumpers from sight. Carefully remove the anti-static covering and you will see them. One set of jumpers only has 2 pins by itself. This set is "open" by default (no plastic jumper attached) and the second set of jumpers has 8 pins with 6 exposed. This set is located directly to the right of the first set of jumpers. The default setting of this group has pins 2 and 4 shorted in a verticle (up/down) position with a small black jumper. To reset the BIOS I tried removing the shorted pins (open) on the second  group first. Then powered the PC on and got the blue pop up requesting the "power on password". I the used the same jumper to test all the pins. I shorted out the first pair of empty pins  and tried again, same result. I tried several more combinations focusing only on the second group of pins, shorting pins 1 and 2, then 7 and 8, each time powering off the unit, then changing the jumper, then restarting the PC. When I tried pins 3 and 4 horizontaly (left to right) and powered up the system, it started beeping like a standard PC does when the BIOS is reset. At that point I knew I had successfully reset the BIOS. I disconnected the power cord replaced the jumpers back to the original configuration of pins 2 and 4, plugged the power cord back in, hit the power button and got a black screen saying the BIOS had been reset. I restarted it once more and the system asked if I wanted to enter the BIOS or save changes and continue booting. I chose to go into the BIOS to make sure I had access to all areas , looked around then exited and the system, and proceded to boot into Windows. I hope this solution helps someone with a newer AIO system as they are all relatively the same except HP has intentionally omitted any identifying markings and failed to provide a simple schematic in their documentation. I honestly hope it helps someone and saves them the time and frustration I, and many others with the same issues have had to endure. But most of all from having to be fleeced of additional funds by so called Support Agents that only recommend that you send your unit in for servicing. Why can't support agents actually support their product?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi! @CLos805, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand your PC is locked with Administrator or power-on password and you are unable to boot into your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

As you mentioned your PC is locked with Administrator or power-on password and you are unable to boot into your PC.

And as you mentioned you would like to know how to reset BIOS jumper on your PC.

Since you are using an all-in-one PC the parts on the PC are non-customer replaceable parts and there is no service guide to service your PC.

The power-on password prevents anyone from starting the computer until they enter the proper password. With the power-on password enabled, the screen remains black, and you are prompted to enter a password as soon as you turn on the computer. The power-on password is set (enabled or disabled) in the System BIOS option window. By default, the power-on password is turned off.

If you have tried entering the password more than 3 times the password will get locked and you have to contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Also, Refer this article to know more information about power on passwords.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for the reply, however I was looking for an actual solution to my problem, not a recommendation to purchase additional services.  Please "call our service department" is "not a solution" all they can help me with is to get rid of that extra money stuck in my system. I realize it is not HP's fault that the password was set and now locked. However I do fault HP for not providing simple documentation on the motherboard componets (a schematic) for something as simple as the BIOS reset jumper found on every Desktop in production. Please do not make the mistake of assuming that all users are helpless and unskilled at working on computer equipment. There are a majority here that are far more knowledgeable than many of the employees that leave unuseable or oversimplified answers. I happen to work in the computer industry and know my way around quite a bit of HP equipment, I wont say all, or I would not be here looking for a solution. At the very least you could have sent some motherboard information rather than a simple "call service". If there is anyone else that can actually recommend a real solution, please, your input would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

@CLos805,

Regards

Mr.Robot

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@A4Apollo wrote:

@CLos805,

Regards

Mr.Robot

@A4Apollo wrote:

@CLos805,

Regards

Mr.Robot

No need I figured it out. I reset the BIOS by shorting the number 3 and 4 pins. One must take the back cover off of the PC and remove a metal cover to expose the area where the jumpers can be found. There are actually 2) sets of jumpers on the motherboard, which are located just above the HDMI port. There is also a small black anti-static I/O sticker that covers the areas between the ports as well as the jumpers from sight. Carefully remove the anti-static covering and you will see them. One set of jumpers only has 2 pins by itself. This set is "open" by default (no plastic jumper attached) and the second set of jumpers has 8 pins with 6 exposed. This set is located directly to the right of the first set of jumpers. The default setting of this group has pins 2 and 4 shorted in a verticle (up/down) position with a small black jumper. To reset the BIOS I tried removing the shorted pins (open) on the second  group first. Then powered the PC on and got the blue pop up requesting the "power on password". I the used the same jumper to test all the pins. I shorted out the first pair of empty pins  and tried again, same result. I tried several more combinations focusing only on the second group of pins, shorting pins 1 and 2, then 7 and 8, each time powering off the unit, then changing the jumper, then restarting the PC. When I tried pins 3 and 4 horizontaly (left to right) and powered up the system, it started beeping like a standard PC does when the BIOS is reset. At that point I knew I had successfully reset the BIOS. I disconnected the power cord replaced the jumpers back to the original configuration of pins 2 and 4, plugged the power cord back in, hit the power button and got a black screen saying the BIOS had been reset. I restarted it once more and the system asked if I wanted to enter the BIOS or save changes and continue booting. I chose to go into the BIOS to make sure I had access to all areas , looked around then exited and the system, and proceded to boot into Windows. I hope this solution helps someone with a newer AIO system as they are all relatively the same except HP has intentionally omitted any identifying markings and failed to provide a simple schematic in their documentation. I honestly hope it helps someone and saves them the time and frustration I, and many others with the same issues have had to endure. But most of all from having to be fleeced of additional funds by so called Support Agents that only recommend that you send your unit in for servicing. Why can't support agents actually support their product?

HP Recommended
Thank you for being a human and actually answering this question. I have been searching for two days. All while trying to avoid the HP site due to this exact same problem and Situation. I mostly did not want to rip my dad computer apart to find there to be no way to reset it. Based on assumptions that there would have to be something documented here via the hp "support". Or anywhere for that matter.. After much frustration I came to the realization that my computer is concidered retired. As if. Retired. Just because they think it's old does not make it obsoulete. Especially when my next move is to Ubuntu.
Unfortunately The only thing that is obsolete around here is HP's money making mentality and "your to dumb" attitude towards people who can perform a fix themselves.
I do know one thing for sure though. I will never ever recommend HP to a single soul.
In fact I'll even have to start boycotting the so called family PC company.
This is complete BS if you ask me. Like they don't make enough money to have to hide how to reset CMOS. Or even to no longer support older hardware. Some people, like my father, are simply to old for the way technology advance and could care less for a headache when doing updates. Which led to this mess in the first place.
Honestly. Y'all should be ashamed of yourselves.
Oh when I get my dad a new PC it will be anything but HP. Likely apple or if Ben like linex. We shall see.
That day will be glorious. Because I'm DESTROYING this one with my bobcat. Melting down all metal components in Munich glory hole and selling them for the scrap they are. It Should be mildly fun for about two minutes and completely satisfying to say the least.
Thank you sir. You are a true saviour of my hair being ripped out and keeping the hard to keep money in pocket in this over priced economythese days.
God bless
HP Recommended

Yes, nice post! I would also like to mention this worked on the 22-a113w model. It would be nice if they labeled the jumper block.

HP Recommended

Thank you for going to the trouble of explaining and posting the details of your experience and the solution.

I have a different model and will keep trying to solve it and I think it will be similar to yours.

If HP advises opening the back of a PC to remove the battery to reset the BIOS then why cant they also provide the jumper pin details to reset it?

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

On my Envy 23-o014 the pinouts are etched into the metal cover over the jumper.   The jumper is stored on pins 1 & 3.  To reset CMOS short 1 & 2, password 3 & 4.  

HP Recommended

need power-on password for a 2009 pavilion

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.