Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

i replaced the hard drive in the 750-177c  win10 desk top with a 500 gig ssd and really enjoy the speed and quiet performance it provides. I would like to repurpose the original hard drive for back up and assorted file storage but would like to do so without having it "on" all the time to reduce power and noise issues.

My question is how can i easily software control the hard drive to a power on/off state to take full advantage of this resource  ?

Thanks in advance for any/all help on this question.

DV7Lee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> How can i easily software control the hard drive to a power on/off state to take full advantage of this resource?

Through software?  Not possible, for an "internal" disk-drive.

Instead, purchase an "empty" external hard-drive kit, and install your hard-drive into it.

Connect via USB, and power-on the drive when you want to use it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

While it is possible, anything already made is for a larger case than what is shown for that model

case.jpg

The one I have and use is this: https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-Switch-Switches-5-25-Inch-HDD-PS6/dp/B00TZR3E70

but it requires a 51/4" bay ( CD/DVD )

Or one of these, which requires a 3 1/2" floppy bay

https://www.amazon.com/PW4101-Aluminum-Floppy-Control-Protection/dp/B009XPCL6Y/ref=pd_sim_147_1?_enc...

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

> How can i easily software control the hard drive to a power on/off state to take full advantage of this resource?

Through software?  Not possible, for an "internal" disk-drive.

Instead, purchase an "empty" external hard-drive kit, and install your hard-drive into it.

Connect via USB, and power-on the drive when you want to use it.

HP Recommended

Many thanks for the "empty" hard drive kit suggestion which i intend to pursue for both some 2.5 as well as 3.5 inch sata drives that i now have left over. I expect to use both USB 2 and 3 to interface with them.

My research shows a number of manufacturers of these  devices with a variety of on-line reviews for them.......any personal experience you can share on any of the providers ?

Thanks again to all who responded !

HP Recommended

> any personal experience you can share on any of the providers ?

One may purchase an "empty" external drive, where you supply your own disk-drive, and mount it.

These cases are "reusable" -- with care, they can be opened/closed many times.

Much better than buying a "complete" external drive, where you almost need to "destroy" the case to disassemble it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.