Did you mean: 
fap3
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

i have an all-in-one and it makes a humming noise

HP Recommended
All in one

i have an all-in-one and it makes a humming noise.  I've tried to resolve the issue, but the directions to fix it doesn't work.  I am sure it's owner-operator error! 🙂

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
29,544 29,453 2,684 6,484
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@fap3 

There are several components inside an AIO that can make noise.

If there is a hard drive, instead of an SSD, it can make noise -- but that is nearly always a very low-level clicking sound, and an AIO that I have access to does have an hard drive, but it makes no sound.

The AIO also has as fan, and that usually makes a whirring sound, but if the bearings are failing, it could be vibrating and that might sound like "humming".

Unfortunately, there are no diagnostics you can run to check out the fan, so you would have to take the AIO to a local repair facility to see what they will do -- and they will charge you for examining it.  If the fan needs to be replaced, that could be quite expensive, depending on how much they have to remove from the AIO to get to the fan.

Also, some AIOs have optical drives for reading CDs and DVDs -- and if you have left a disk in the drive, it will automatically spin up and that can make a humming sound.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation