Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion500 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My mouse and/or controller moves by itself. I thought it was the controller that I bought a few years ago. So I got a refund. However, the problem seems to happen with any controller I plug into my computer. Even when I know the controller works. Recently, even the mouse has been doing it. I tried resetting my computer OS, but that caused more trouble then good. I've gone to Microsoft about this, but they couldn't help.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@knyteii,

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the case regarding issues with the computer. I will be delighted to assist you here. 

Check the Mouse options under the control panel: 

Start → Control Panel → Mouse → Buttons tab.  

Check the box labeled "Use MS Office compatible scroll only."  

Also, check the box below labeled "Scroll inactive window only." 

If the issue persists, attempt the below steps: 

Attempt using an alternate/external mouse.  

(If that works when the touchpad is disabled on Synaptic software, it would mean that it's a touchpad failure, 

However, if the external mouse doesn't work either, it could be a software/driver issue). 

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your mouse: 

Go to the Device Manager and select your mouse. Uninstall it and then restart your computer. During restart, your mouse driver will automatically be reinstalled. 

• 1.   Click on Start and type ‘Device Manager’. 

• 2.   Click Device Manager. 

• 3.   Click + sign next to Mouse. 

• 4.   Right-click on mouse entry and choose "uninstall". 

• 5.   Restart your computer.

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Greetings! 

  

This message is from the HP Support team, 

  

Just needed to know if all your queries were resolved? 

  

If not, I could help you get there. 

  

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, go to the public post & give us a virtual high-five by clicking the "Thumbs Up" icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on my public post. 

  

Have a great day ahead! 

HP Recommended

Turn off the computer and disconnect the mouse and carefully clean it all round. Wipes for glasses or some isopropyl alcohol are safe to use, if not just a few drops of water on a soft cloth.  Check around the led underneath for dirt and debris with a cotton bud.  Some surfaces can cause reflections on the led and confuse it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.