Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
500-319na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Following power up, the PC is very slow and the disk active time is at 100% for about 10 minutes. This is the same both users. The problem is only present after power up. It has been like this for several months.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Dear Kevinng,

Try this - if not done already ...

Using file explorer, open "My PC" (left pane). On right pane will show your hard drive as C:\ (Icon)

Right click and select: properties (sub menu disk tools) - or 'drive/disk tools if it is there (top menu).

Select 'check disk' with 'automatically fix errors', and let it run.

It is possible the program will want to run a start-up run/repair (can take two hours - HDD size/errors relative); which will happen at the next boot-up. If it says to do this - do it.

... It sounds like HDD errors. This will fix it. Other possibility is Windows start-up errors (win.ini, etc.). If the first option does not work, I will explain how to fix your registery errors/Windows system boot (not the same as the HP starting bios boot).

Cheers,

Rick.

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your suggestions.

I ran Error checking on C drive, no errors found.

I ran HP Diagnostics System Fast Test - all passed.

I booted PC in Safe Mode, HDD disc active time near 0%.

I booted PC in normal mode, HDD disc active time 100%.

HP Recommended

Hi Kevinng,

Great working with someone who knows what they're doing.

Trouble shooting is a process of elimination - thus we start at the top and work down the most common issues.

We have established your main system drive is the equivalent of:

a: Miss World;

or,

b: Mr Universe ...

(select appropriate - dream image)

Next item is the health/condition of the Registry (plus a few step cheats).

There are a number of (hard) ways to do this, however we'll take the easy route.

Surf to a reputable free  software - like: Major Geeks; CNet; Source Forge; Tucows, etc, and do a search for "Glarysoft" or "Glary Utilities".

Very good utility suite that has a free version. I use it weekly (pro version).

Install and run it.

You can start with: 1 click system clean-up (cover lots of things, including the registry); or (even after, first clean-up) go to "Advanced" (stop drooling) and pick #4 = Registry Defrag (behave ... and you can play with all the others - after dinner).

Let me know how that goes. Yes - you can run the Device Manager/Driver check/back-up (#3 in analysis/trouble shooting sequence) ... with the added bonus of discovering it has a built-in 'driver update feature' - but I'll let you find that yourself (do not want to spoil the surprise - laugh).

Cheers,

Rick.

(ps. #2.5: is to make sure (Win 10 O/S specific) any/all USB drives are disconnected at (before) shutdown, and at start-up.)

HP Recommended

Hi Rick, Thanks for the assistance.
Started Glary Utilities (5.142.0.168 FREE)
Ran 1-Click Maintenance with default settings. Some clean up performed.
Ran Adv Tools, Registry Defrag, defrag performed.

Updated all 6 applications
I'm sorry to say that it is no better.
Nice utility application.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.