Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 Elite Convertible Minitower

I have an issue when im trying to install a HDD Seagate of 500gb in my compaq 8200 elite. Im trying to boot up with the HP System Recovery Disk 1 but it shows this message: "non system disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready", i tried booting up disabling EFI Boot Order and booting up with Legacy Boot. I need help fixing this, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yep.

That's the way it should be, and it should have booted from the DVD drive like that.

It works that way on both of mine and it worked that way on your 6200 Pro, which has the same BIOS as the 8200 Elite.

So something ain't right with that machine.

What you can try is to remove the HDD from your 6200 Pro, put the one from the 8200 Elite in the 6200 Pro.

Run the recovery disks from there, reinstall W7 and then put the disk back in the 8200 Elite.

They are basically the same PC, so it should work.

Even the recovery disk set is the same for both models.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

In order to boot from the DVD, have Disk 1 in the DVD drive.

Turn on or restart the PC.

Immediately tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that select the legacy boot menu.

Here is the tricky part...You need to move the arrow to the SATA 2 option below the DVD drive listing and press the enter key.

The PC should then boot from the recovery DVD.

HP Recommended

I go to the boot menu but i can move the sata 2 belowe the atapi hard drive, the boot menu looks like this

Legacy Boot

1-ATAPI CD 

SATA 2

2- HARD DRIVE

SATA 0

HP Recommended

How come your drives are out of order?

The hard drive should be in the SATA 0 port and the DVD drive should be in the SATA 2 port.

With your arrangement, your hard drive is only running at the SATA II speed instead of the SATA III speed port 0 provides.

To boot from the DVD drive in your current configuration, you move the arrow to the SATA 0 position.

But change those drive positions first by swapping the SATA data cables before you do the recovery.

Then boot from the DVD drive in the SATA 2 position.

HP Recommended

Sorry i edited my response before you answer back, the boot menu looks like this

Legacy Boot

1-ATAPI CD 

SATA 2

2- HARD DRIVE

SATA 0

HP Recommended

OK, so take the arrow down so it lines up like this...

Legacy Boot
1-ATAPI CD
SATA 2  <<
2- HARD DRIVE
SATA 0

Then press the Enter key and the PC should boot from the DVD drive.

I have two 8200 Elite CMT's so I am very familiar with how they operate.

HP Recommended

So i tried to do what are you saying, looks like this 

Boot menuBoot menu

Trying to hit enter with  the recovery disk 1 in the CD Drive and shows the same error, the curious part is that i tried to boot with another cd that no belong to the model, but it boots.

The curious part is that i try to boot up the recovery disk 1 in a compaq 6200 Pro with the same settings, and the cd boot up normally 

IMG_0068[1].JPG

HP Recommended

Yep.

That's the way it should be, and it should have booted from the DVD drive like that.

It works that way on both of mine and it worked that way on your 6200 Pro, which has the same BIOS as the 8200 Elite.

So something ain't right with that machine.

What you can try is to remove the HDD from your 6200 Pro, put the one from the 8200 Elite in the 6200 Pro.

Run the recovery disks from there, reinstall W7 and then put the disk back in the 8200 Elite.

They are basically the same PC, so it should work.

Even the recovery disk set is the same for both models.

HP Recommended

I put the hard drive in the 6200 and, it works!, it run the recovery disk, im going to install all tomorrow, so i let you know if this works, thanks!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.