cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
9 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

replacing win 10 with win7

HP Recommended
elite 8000 cmt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

please bear with me, again a short story is needed. I am buying the above desktop or an 8100,8200, or 8300 for a friend. ALL have win 10 64 bit installed by the sellers or a wiped HDD. I do not know if win 7 32bit or 64bit were preinstalled. in my case win7 32bit WAS preinstalled. I burned an ISO and cloned several HDDs for spares. I used an unused COA non HP COA product key that matched my edition to activate the ISO. worked perfectly. the HP COAs attached to the cases did NOT work. the cloned HDDs are activated from the installed ISO OS including all my apps.

what I have in mind is to simply replace the win 10 hdd or wiped hdd with one of my clones. will this work? it has worked for me in the past. my friend is used to win7 and does not like 10. in addition we will have similar desktops with the same apps in case she needs my help. she is not tech savvy so this is my project. I was told that the HP COA is NOT a real product key for activation. my non HP coa as I said DID activate. in addition a key finder app found the SAME key for both desktops different from the attached COAs. is this common?

if I install both OSs is there a screen displayed that asks which OS is to be used? can win7 be the default? so that this choice does not have to be made every time? does the storage size of the HDD matter, as in replacing a 160, or 250 with a 500? would I be better off using the ISO and then install the needed apps?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,218 10,214 960 2,812
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The elite 8000 CMT  PC's may have come with Windows 7 installed from the factory.  If that was the case, then Windows 7 can be reinstalled using the HP OEM key that was/is present by a BIOS arrangement.  That PC can use more than 4GB of memory, so if it came with 8GB or more then it probably was 64bit Windows.  

Windows 7 uses a different type of key than newer versions of Windows.  Using the BIOS arrangement is different from the COA on the case.  If the COA on the case was used before or is for a different version of Windows, then it will not work.  If the version Windows 7 you installed was aware of the BIOS arrangement, it would have applied the HP OEM key and activated once it saw the internet.  Many HP Business class PC's came with Windows 7 Pro, so it might be possible to install a Pro OEM OS, using the same method but a different key.  Just an FYI.

If you would PM the key the key finder displayed, I can tell you which method you are using to activate the Windows you have installed, but from the description, it sounds like the OEM key is being used, since more than one PC is using the key.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation