Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
580-023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Thanks for reading.

I'm trying to add a  SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB - SDSSDA-240G-G26  to my 580-023w.  I followed the steps of a credible youtube video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JaHLyppI1s&t=150s

After making the recovery thumb drive, the video suggests unplugging the SATA cable from the 1TB HD and plugging it into the new SSD.  After recovery is finished then plug both SATA drives in and swap the boot order.

I can't get past the recovery step.

Bootup from the thumb drive started well until the first of multiple reboots happened and I got this form.

Restoration Incomplete Message

It then asks me to click one of three buttons "save log", "details", or "retry". "retry" gets me back to the same restoration incomplete screen. Details gives this error

run DiskPart.exe /s C:\System.save\FactoryUpdate\CreateDESP.txt

ErrorLevel=[-2147024809]

[PIN_ERROR_MSG][CreateE.cmd] DiskPart.exe /s C:\System.save\FactoryUpdate\CreateDESP.txt or DiskPart.exe /s C:\System.save\FactoryUpdate\CreateESP.txt

[PIN_ERROR_MSG][CreateE.cmd] Return Code = [-2147024809]

Failed to create ESP/MSR. RESULT=FAILED

When I do disk diagnostics from the bios the SSD checks out OK.  I can post the save log here if that would help. 

TIA

-Derick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DinMN, welcome to the forum.

Here is a guide from Sandisk that should help you.  In Step 1, you can simply connect both drives using the system in the video that you provided, instead of, buying the USB to SATA adapter.  Then, follow the remaining steps as stated.  You can find cloning software free on the Internet.  Here is just one of many:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

This is the way that I normally add SSD's to my computer.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@DinMN, welcome to the forum.

Here is a guide from Sandisk that should help you.  In Step 1, you can simply connect both drives using the system in the video that you provided, instead of, buying the USB to SATA adapter.  Then, follow the remaining steps as stated.  You can find cloning software free on the Internet.  Here is just one of many:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

This is the way that I normally add SSD's to my computer.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi,

Possible problem areas:

The recovery flash drive might be faulty.  Try a creating a new recovery flash drive . Use a 32 GB flash drive. You need to contact HP Support as the recovery program only allows one copy to be made.

If you have a spare 1-2 TB HD then try the recovery to that HD and see if that works.

The SSD might not be big enough. I would suggest trying 512 GB SSD.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

The Sandisk method seems pretty straightforward.  I have no problems understanding the hardware hookups as I have built many PCs back in the day.  I fiddled with countless bios settings as well, however, it's been years so I'm a little rusty.  I think following that guide would have led to a successful outcome.  

I tried many combinations of hardware hookups trying to get things to work. One of the first things I did, however, was to go back to the original WD HD and get things working again which worked fine.  I settled on having the SSD plugged into the open SATA port and then just unplugging the WD HD SATA connection while booting off the thumb drive.  Then I went through the boot sequence and instead of following the youtube video I took a different sequence through the restoration menus.  I think the video suggests going to troubleshooting/advanced setup, and instead, I took the Recovery Setup route.  This seemed to work with just the SSD connected. as the SSD got partitioned correctly this time.  I then went into the bios and changed the boot order and now my system boots up lightning fast and I have a 1TB 7200 HD to use as storage.

This seems like a very nice machine for the $399 black friday price I paid for it.  The SSD was $60 so I think this system should last me a while with light game and web use.  I was looking into adding two 8GB sticks of memory but the price is over $150 ouch!! I guess that can wait.

HP Recommended

I used a 16GB flash drive and it had 4G to spare after the recovery setup was done.  See my post above for how I got it to work.  The SSD has 210GB of space free and I plan to store photos and videos and lots of other junk on the 1TB 7200rpm HD.  Hopefully, this setup will last me a long time.  I think this is a pretty nice PC.

One other change I made was to plug the thumb drive into the faster USB port, the one with the blue connector.  Not sure if that made a difference but who knows.

HP Recommended

@DinMN

Post #3 is not clear exactly what you did.

I have tried 16GB flash drives (empty) and the the HP recovery media creation basically wouldn't recognize the flash drive. :smileysad:I then inserted a 32 GB flash drive and everything worked.

One final note, the HP recovery software can be very finiky with USB flash drives more or less USB2 or USB3. Even when you think that the creation process was successful later you find out that the flash drive will not boot. :Surprise: USB-c is a hit and miss technology.  One failed and one worked.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I know this post is dead but I wanted to submit that I had the same problem and I solved it by turning off "Secure Boot" in the BIOS.

HP Recommended

thanks it worked for me.  turn off secure boot

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.