Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillon Desktop 570
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, I replaced my 1000GB HDD with a 480 kingston SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10, To do this I had to disable the bios secure boot. Now I can't enable it anymore because otherwise the SSD won't start as primary and the OS won't boot. Any solution? Thank you all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@franky54 

I told you what you need to do in the last line of my reply:

1) You need to recreate the Windows install media, this time, in UEFI mode

2) You need to reformat the drive, this time, using GPT.

----------------------

In terms of the first, if you downloaded an ISO file to create the Win10 media, then use this free utility to create new media but specify UEFI booting:  Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases) 

In terms of the second, if the drive is blank, then when you boot UEFI media, it will automatically format the drive using GPT instead of MBR.  If the drive is not blank, then you need to connect it to another PC and remove all the partitions.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@franky54 

New PCs that come with Secure Boot enabled also come with Windows preloaded in UEFI mode using GPT partitioning of the drive.

My guess is that you installed Windows in Legacy mode but in MBR partitioning and when you try to re-enable Secure Boot, it won't go back to UEFI mode because the drive partitioning is wrong.

You need Windows media that will boot in UEFI mode and you need the drive formatted in GPT, not MBR.

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for your reply, so in this case what should I do? is there any procedure?
Thanks

HP Recommended

@franky54 

I told you what you need to do in the last line of my reply:

1) You need to recreate the Windows install media, this time, in UEFI mode

2) You need to reformat the drive, this time, using GPT.

----------------------

In terms of the first, if you downloaded an ISO file to create the Win10 media, then use this free utility to create new media but specify UEFI booting:  Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases) 

In terms of the second, if the drive is blank, then when you boot UEFI media, it will automatically format the drive using GPT instead of MBR.  If the drive is not blank, then you need to connect it to another PC and remove all the partitions.

HP Recommended

Hi, I did as above with rufus, so should I reformat the SSD now?
thanks

HP Recommended

Hi, I did as above with rufus, so now I should reformat the SSD to enable Secure Boot.
thanks

HP Recommended

@franky54 

Sorry, I was out -- I'm only a part-time volunteer.

You don't actually need to reformat the SSD. If you remove all the partitions and leave it blank, the Windows UEFI installer will automatically format it using GPT and create the needed partitions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.