Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Z220 SFF Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For years, I used this desktop as my main machine with absolutely no problems listening to audio tracks, either via the onboard sound connected to powered speakers or via a USB DAC connected to a headphone amp. I used a variety of audio software, but have always used Foobar2000 for critical listening. I never, ever had problems with pops, clicks, or dropouts until upgrading to 20H2, whether listening to music or viewing clips on YouTube or programming via Hulu or Netflix.

I can't play any audio only material via Foobar or GrooveMusic without numerous pops/clicks/dropouts now, nor can I play YouTube videos in Chrome or watch anything on Hulu or Netflix without those issues. This problem occurs with any USB DAC, running via DirectSound, WASAPI, or ASIO output in Foobar, or with the onboard sound.

Several pro audio forums suggested downloading and running LatencyMon, and the culprit appears to be storport.sys. Every minute or less, LatencyMon shows storport.sys to have a DPC routine execution time of more than 10,000 microseconds, which flags the system as unsuitable for real-time audio playback.

Actions taken: Installed all the optional Intel device updates via Windows Update. Updated all audio drivers. Rolled back video driver. Disconnected all USB devices and Ethernet cable, booted up Win10 and started LatencyMon without any other apps running in foreground...no improvements whatsoever.

I posted these issues to Audio Science Review forum, and within an hour, several audiophiles replied, stating they also discovered these same problems across a broad variety of hardware after upgrading to 20H2. Some have solved them by updating specific USB drivers, but that's not possible for the Z220. I also have a 400G1 mini that was just updated to 20H2. It  has minimal software loaded as I intended to use it as a tiny music server for my large speaker rig4, and it now has the same problems with high storport.sys latency--and now there are pops/clicks/dropouts using the onboard sound or two different USB DACs.

How can one determine what particular app or service is responsible for problems with storport.sys latency? It appears to have been a problem for various folks ever since the introduction of Win10. Thanks in advance for any input.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@sejarzo , welcome back to the forum.

Q:  How can one determine what particular app or service is responsible for problems with storport.sys latency? It appears to have been a problem for various folks ever since the introduction of Win10. Thanks in advance for any input.

A:  I don't believe that it is any one app that is causing your problem.  I believe that it is Windows 20H2.  I have had nothing but problems with it.  I finally went back to Windows 1909 to solve my problems.  You have 10 days to revert to your original version of Windows: Settings/Update and Security/Recovery/Go back to previous version of Windows!  It takes a few minutes to complete, but may solve your problems.

If this option is not available because it has been too long, I suggest checking the "Update history" to see which apps have been installed or updated.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sejarzo , welcome back to the forum.

Q:  How can one determine what particular app or service is responsible for problems with storport.sys latency? It appears to have been a problem for various folks ever since the introduction of Win10. Thanks in advance for any input.

A:  I don't believe that it is any one app that is causing your problem.  I believe that it is Windows 20H2.  I have had nothing but problems with it.  I finally went back to Windows 1909 to solve my problems.  You have 10 days to revert to your original version of Windows: Settings/Update and Security/Recovery/Go back to previous version of Windows!  It takes a few minutes to complete, but may solve your problems.

If this option is not available because it has been too long, I suggest checking the "Update history" to see which apps have been installed or updated.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks for that reply!

I did roll back the Z220 after my original post, but while the situation is better, it's not 100% fixed. LatencyMon is still showing 4400+ microsec times for storport.sys, but audio playback seems better.

I found a method to download/create bootable install USB drives for older versions of Win10, and figured I'd just bite the bullet and wipe out 20H2 on the 400G1 mini and install 20H1/2004. I installed Chrome, Foobar2000, a handful of disk utilities, the driver for a USB DAC, and LatencyMon....and after 20 minutes, there was no report of any storport.sys latency.

Ergo, my conclusion is that yes, MS really dropped the ball on this one!

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @sejarzo

I have no doubt that MS will correct the errors eventually, but I got tired of the BSOD's that I never had with any other version, Win 10, 1909 or 2004.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.