Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So my HP's hard drive broke, and had to be completely replaced along with all my files/windows as a whole.

Before, I recovered all of my recommended files onto a DVD-RW disc (6, actually). Now my laptop is repaired, I inserted the disc and the step process goes like this: This PC > DVD RW Drive > Backup (*date here*) > FB Data > and then just a bunch of .swm files.

I have downloaded 7Zip .exe version or something? I'm not sure how to use it, but after watching a tutorial and clicking "Add to archive", right at the end it says it's unable to do so.

I just want my old files back onto my laptop. I have no idea if they need to be exported? I thought it'd be a lot easier than this haha. 

Many thanks, puncat .

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

I think you are on the right track but you need to do this...

Open 7-Zip and navigate to the first .swm file of the backup.

Right-click the .swm file and select 7-zip>open archive. Once that opens, it should reveal the contents of the .swm files. If the file contains something you want to keep, you can either extract each invidual file or extract the entire directory.

If you want to extract each individual file, highlight the desired file and click the extract button at the top. If you want to extract the entire directory, make sure no items are highlighted and click the extract button at the top.

This is a manual process and it can be a large task depending on how many files were backed up, but it is one method to get the backed up files when the standard procedure is not working.

HP Recommended

Hello,

every time I try to extract a file, it says "Can not open output file. Access is denied."

HP Recommended

bump

i still need help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.