Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi

sorry @Kasey_K 

But I don't quite understand your answer
@TheOldMan 'S response was on the right track best idea !

22-dd0016 Product Specifications

1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD

2 M.2 (1 for SSD, 1 for WLAN)

Motherboard Specifications

(1) M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for SSD

you have the option of keeping an HDD disk, which can be used for data storage
And use an M2 type SSD, which can possibly be faster than a simple sata SSD
Maybe you get confused, with the mixture of information we are talking about usb, whereas nothing to do with a system disk
See a simple example, same type of computer, same m2 type SSD motherboard with HDD

22-dd0011la Product Specifications

Internal Storage
256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
Hard drive (2nd)
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD

then maybe it is not that simple for the installation, but it is by far the best option

HP 22/24/27 All-in-One PCs - Systemboard Viewer

HP 22/24/27 All-in-One PCs - Part Locator

note that this is not a tower type computer
see if the adapter would fit, but not some

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Kasey_K -- it seems I should forego the convenience of an M.2 stick as it will not afford the speed that I need. Therefore I will put the internal 2.5 SSD in the PC.

That seems to be incorrect. From: M.2 vs. SSD, Which Is Better? How to Select One? - EaseUS

compared to M.2 drives, internal SSD is a lot slower. The reason for this is simple. Unlike M2 drives, SSD drives are plugged like a traditional hard drive (2.5-inch SATA SSD), while M.2 drives are directly connected to the motherboard and offer faster bus speed, resulting in a very high-speed transfer.

So, if price is not a factor to you, and storage capacity is about equal, then the M.2 device is the better choice.

HP Recommended

@Kasey_K 

Since no one here has apparently read the details in your post -- I would strongly advise AGAINST trying to upgrade the internal drive/ Why? Because everyone else here is acting like this is a 5-minute process -- which it IS with a standard desktop.

But ... this is NOT a desktop but instead, and All-in-One -- which is a NIGHTMARE to service because you have to PRY OFF the screen in order to get to the internals to then replace components.  And doing that risks breaking the screens because unlike with standalone monitors, these are VERY fragile and break easily.

Trust me, I have personal experience in this and would NOT attempt doing this again!

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood / @Kasey_K -- good advice from @WAWood 

However, watch this YouTube video: Replace the Hard Drive | HP All-in-One 22 and 24 Series | @HPSupport - YouTube

It has been posted by HP Support. 

For your computer, removing the BACK panel, not the FRONT screen, exposes the motherboard, and the M.2 socket. This makes it less risky to disassemble.  But, I agree that the task should be delegated to a professional computer technician.

HP Recommended

To all:

I watched an HP video BEFORE I attempted the maintenance on an All-in-One, and at least in the case of this model, you have to remove the ENTIRE back shell cover in able to get at ANY of the components -- and that is what cracked the screen.

I returned the SSD I bought to the computer store and the service manager there told me that these All-in-Ones break the screens so often that they refuse to do any work on their internals.  They said that my experience was commonplace.

So again, I advise AGAINST opening the case to get at the internals.

HP Recommended

@WAWood -- an interesting point is the difference between two questions that often get posted to this forum:

1. can I change any hardware in my desktop, notebook, tablet, All-In-One ?
  2. how do I change any hardware in my desktop, notebook, tablet, All-In-One ?

The answer to #1 is "yes". For most computers, some components can be replaced, but it depends on which components and which device.  An example: I have one Seagate external disk-drive has a "snap-together" plastic case. That case is NOT designed to be non-destructively opened. After assembly at the factory, there is no expectation that it will ever be disassembled.

The answer to #2 is more complicated. Changing a mouse is the easiest. Changing a motherboard is the most-difficult. In between, there is some level of competence & experience that the questioner is required to have, in order to succeed. Personally, I would not want to try to replace the battery inside my iPhone. For me, it makes sense to pay a technician about $50 to service my iPhone, rather than paying $1000 to purchase a replacement.

If you have not broken it, you're not trying hard enough" -- www.RedGreen.com   

The questioner needs to realize and understand all the risks of hardware maintenance, including that of static electricity "zapping" a motherboard or a disk-drive or a stick of RAM. The technician in that HP video did not take any anti-static precautions, but he did put the computer face-down on a soft cloth, to try to protect the screen. So, it is not a "perfect" video, but it will give the questioner enough detail to understand the complexity of changing a disk-drive, or adding an M.2 device. Maybe, enough complexity is shown that the questioner can decide to "out-source" the change to a certified computer technician.

For this thread, the questioner has not commented on their level of skill with hardware maintenance. That makes it difficult to give a "tailored" answer.

Maybe, the moral is: "if you have to ask how, then you should not try".  

It's not like a phrase from Yoda: do or not do, there is no try.

HP Recommended

Thanks for relating your experience and, sorry to hear about your loss.  However I have no choice but to forge ahead and try to carefully get an SSD stick in there. The computer is paralyzed in quicksand, and utterly useless. such a unit should never have been produced.

I watched one Youtube where the young fellow, was explaining to release "one side" of the long monitor case, *then* go to the other side. this may be a trick to get it gently opened up.

HP Recommended

thanks. I agree with your assessment. But ~ ~ that, is only because I talked with a helpful tech guy at Kingston products. I ordered a 240 GB , M.2 Ram stick directly from the Kingston company, as the price is the same as E-Bay with free shipping and I love to support any company that has actual.human beings to hold your hand and guide you through the dark forest that is Life.

Now if I can only remove the Darn back cover of the All-in-One unit without cracking the screen; maybe this mission will succeed ?!?!

HP Recommended

Hello
shared opinion indeed for me
If we are asked, what is possible, and how, we can only assume that the user knows what is going to do, the risks he may take
Indeed, it would be necessary to specify each time, attention, it is risky.
But I have also seen users tell you from above that it is good, they are not stupid
This type of material is particular, for some models the opening is easier than others, unfortunately we can not change that!
You had problems @WAWood  I understand, this is a good warning, the best advice we can give is to go to a professional
What I say regularly, depending on the problem, but not everyone has the means
now we can say that for all models, risk do not touch
Laptops are just as fragile, and I haven't seen many people, informing users
Sometimes the answer is just the manual, nothing more
manual where it is often specified that the user is not authorized!

Memory Memory upgrade max memory 17-cp0097nr Memory upgrade

there are thousands of examples!

A computer, of office, the risk is there, I have already seen many users say, that it does not start any more after having changed the memory, however super easy for most
So what do we do, with each question, no, don't do anything
For not too complicated problems, the user can crash, the computer, for one reason or another, it can happen.
the Community, will therefore be used for what, redirect users still under warranty, to support
Users no longer under warranty, to professionals, and if not the means?
But this makes me think, and I will probably do what I had already done, add a mention in my signature, even if not read, at least, the user, will not be able to say that not warned
@Kasey_K 
If you want to take the risk, read, watch videos, equip yourself with the necessary tools, and only do this if you feel you can do it.
if not, go to a pro, or resell the computer, in order to buy better, that seems to be the best thing to tell you.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Kasey_K 

As I already said, not all of these models are the same.  In some, you only have to pry apart the bottom half of the back and it folds up with a hinge in the middle.  Since the speaker bar is on the bottom, there is less risk of cracking the screen.

In my case, there was no hinge, so I had to pry apart the entire back -- and I slowly worked my way around the entire case, starting at the bottom and was on the left SIDE, three inches from the end, when the bezel broke and cracked the screen -- all the way across!!

So, if it happens, there will be no advanced warning -- it will just happen. It might NOT happen to you -- but as I said, the service guy told me it happens so often they refuse to open these cases.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.