Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion envy 700-430qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Microsoft says I cannot upgrade due to TMP being off. How do I turn it on and would it be 2.0 on this computer?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC probably does not have a TPM security chip and if it did, it would only have been version 1.2.

If you see no enable/disable TPM setting in the BIOS, then your PC did not come with a TPM.

Most if not all HP consumer class desktops made during the period yours was made or earlier did not come with those security chips.

This does not necessarily mean you can't install W11 on your PC, but you would have to perform a clean install and reinstall all of your programs and files.

If you want to see if W11 works on your PC, you can make a bootable W11 USB installer from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows11

See this article.  3rd headline from the bottom.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-11-how-to-get-it-now-or-later/?ftag=TREc64629f&bhid...

If for some reason, W11 does not work correctly on your PC, you can reinstall W10.

I currently have W11 clean installed on two PC's that I have, that do not meet the requirements for the W11 upgrade and they both work fine on W11 so far.

I use the free Macrium Reflect software to make system images,

You may want to do the same. 

Make a system image using Macrium reflect, and if W11 doesn't work right, you can easily go back to your current W10 installation.

You save the image on a portable hard drive and the software will have you make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD you boot from to access the system image stored on the portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

You want the file listed on the left side of the webpage under the Backup at Home section.

HP Recommended

Hi, Paul, does my computer have a TMP header and would that do the trick to install windows 11?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC's processor doesn't meet the W11 specs of being an Intel 8th gen core processor and there aren't any you can upgrade to that are supported for your PC.

I would have no idea if your PC can support a TPM security device and PC's made around the time yours was made only supported TPM 1.2 security devices.

I found an easier way to get an in-place upgrade on a PC that has a UEFI BIOS and supports secure boot.

See if this works for you...

I would make a system image of your current W10 installation prior to updating to W11, so you can easily reinstall W10 in the future.  I used the free Macrium Reflect software to do that, under the Backup at Home section. 

Along with the system image, make sure you create the bootable DVD or USB rescue drive you boot from to access the system image stored on your portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

First make this registry change...

https://www.hellpc.net/how-to-bypass-tpm-and-cpu-requirements-windows-11-upgrade-unsupported-pc/

Then download the Windows 11 ISO file (3rd option), not the W11 installation assistant.

Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com)

Use Rufus and make a bootable USB installer with the ISO file you downloaded.

There is a new option to create an installer that is supposed to bypass the W11 hardware checks. 

After you make the installer, open the file contents, and double click on the setup application, and see if you can get the in-place upgrade like I was able to.

If for some reason, W11 won't let you do the in-place upgrade, you can clean install W11 with the Rufus-created installation media.

Here is the link to the Rufus download.  You want the version 3.17 portable.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Here is a screenshot for how you should let Rufus set up the ISO file...

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1635966265661.png

You just have to accept the agreement that comes up during the upgrade process about your PC not meeting the requirements, etc., etc..

My unsupported W11 PC's got all of the W11 updates. 

I have upgraded 7 of them to W11, and they seem to run a little better on W11 than they did on W10.

However, I don't know how long they will continue to get all of the updates, or what will happen when the new build of W11 comes out next year in October.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.