Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Windows 8.1 pro will not install in this PC, using a dvd. Loads all the way error message at the end windows 8.1 will not load

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @bionicbill

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

To assist you better, what model HP Computer are you using?

Refer to this document to know how to find the Product Name or Product Number.

For more info on upgrading the OS, kindly refer to this document.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Bionicbill,

As Kumar mentions - we have insufficient information to respond in depth or detail. We need your computer type/number CPU and HDD/SSD type/rating; in addition to the full version and edition of the Windows OS you are presently running.

With these folk have the basics to formulate responses, based on possible causes - although it is not a HP hardware/unit fault/problem. We will still answer, to the best of our knowledge (lot of very smart people here).

I suspect - but do not know (lack of detail) the most likely cause of that particular MS Windows installation error - is if you are trying to Install a "pro" edition, over a "home" or different/other edition. MicroSoft installers stop the over-install or upgrade process if there is an edition mis-match.

It does not matter if you select "Install" , because the msi installer will still treat it as an upgrade - unless you are installing to a completely new or formatted blank, Hard Drive. I do not know if Win 7 & 8.1 will run-on/install to a Solid State Drive (SSD); might but the drivers will give trouble (not designed for SSD).

Cheers,

Rick.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.