Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Slimline S5320UK

Window 7 64-bit

Installed new Samsung SSD 830 128gb

I have tried installing msahci using regedit and rebooting - but still no AHCI option in bios setting

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I wouldn't think so.

The issue is with the BIOS/chipset

Unless the PCI controller has its own BIOS where you can set it to AHCI, then no, it wouldn't make any difference over what you have now.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi:

The legacy nVidia nForce 430 chipset is not AHCI capable/compliant.  It is only capable of running in IDE/RAID mode.

If there is a RAID option in the BIOS, set it to that, as it would be better than IDE mode for your SSD.

If there is no RAID setting in the BIOS, you will have to live with the status quo.

Paul

HP Recommended

If i install a pcie sata controller would this then enable me to use ahci?

HP Recommended

I wouldn't think so.

The issue is with the BIOS/chipset

Unless the PCI controller has its own BIOS where you can set it to AHCI, then no, it wouldn't make any difference over what you have now.

HP Recommended

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi,

There are a number of PCI-E SATA cards that have there own bios.  When you boot up your PC, you will see the card bios appear indicating the attached drives.  If the drivers for the card are ahci drivers then you should be OK.

This ASROCK SATA III PCI-E card might do the job.  This card use the Marvell disk controller.  Check with the manufacturer to see if the card will support boot devices with your motherboard if that function is needed.

The newer SSDs also use "garbage collection" which operates very much like the Windows "trim" function.

Check with Samsung to see the SSD is supported without AHCI active.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
Thank you.
HP Recommended

MY LAPTOP IS A HP PAVILION G6 - 1372EA

SERIAL NUMBER {Removed for privacy}

PRODUCT NUMBER A9J84EA#ABU

DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO DO A CLEAN INSTALL OF WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM AND SET IT UP IN AND ALSO DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO SETUP OR INSTALL THE AHCI CONTROLER BECAUSE I AM WANTING TO INSTALL WINDOWS 7 ONTO A SSD DRIVE INSTEAD OF AN IDE ATA SATA

HP Recommended

Hi:

The BIOS' in HP consumer notebooks such as yours, have the BIOS set to the default of AHCI.

There are no settings in the BIOS to change it from AHCI to anything else.

If you can read the 25 character Windows 7 product key on the bottom of your notebook, you can make your own plain W7 installation DVD.

Here's how:

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft windows 7 product key, you can download plain Windows 7 ISO files to burn to a DVD for the version of windows that came installed on your PC, and that is listed on the Microsoft COA sticker on your PC's case.

Burn the ISO using the Burn ISO option on your DVD burning program and burn at the slowest possible speed your program will allow. This will create a bootable DVD.

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

The key will activate either a 32 or 64 bit installation.

Then go to the PC's support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

Link to the W7 ISO file downloads is below.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi @Valdek64,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having issues with AHCI option isn't available in Bios. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

To help you better, could you provide me with the Operating System installed on the PC?

Did the issue start after upgrading or updating the Windows?

When was the last time it worked (date)?

I did go through the specifications and found that The processor DOES NOT integrated any graphics. and has a rated board TDP of 65W. 

I would suggest here is to update the graphics card drivers from the Manufacturer's website, using this link.

Note: There are no drivers available for windows 10, that could also be one of the issues. 

Next thing, you could try is to update the Bios and chipset drivers, from our HP support website.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.