Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion All-In-One 27
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am wanting to connect a monitor to my all-in-one but my desktop doesn't have a VGA connection so i've bought a USB-C to VGA adaptor and that's still not picking up a connection. Any thoughts? Do I need a specific adaptor? I just bought one off Ebay.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@ajpoland90 

If you will provide the specific model number, we can check to see if HP has information about the USB-C port(s) on that model.  Sometimes, these are charging-only.

Otherwise, you might have to try other adapters.  I had to go through three until I got one that worked with my desktop.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

Product number W2T82AA

Serial number [edit ]

My monitor looks to only have VGA, DVI or Display.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

@ajpoland90 

According to the model number you entered, the back of the monitor does not have USB-C ports, only USB-A, two of them being USB 2.0, one being USB 3.0.

And if you wanted to drive a second monitor, you should use the HDMI port on the back.

Here is the HP page for it:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05143556

So, I have no idea why you are mentioning a USB-C adapter.

HP Recommended

Hi

Yes, the USB-C is on the bottom (it says it on the link you provided also, Bottom I/O ports).

From what I gather though after speaking with HP, this USB-C is only data transferring so I will need to buy a new monitor to extend to as the one I have already purchased will not connect at all.

Thank you for replying to my question.

HP Recommended

@ajpoland90 

Rather than spend more money for another monitor, why not just spend money for a USB-to-VGA cable and plug it into the back of your existing monitor?  Are all those plugs already in use?

HP Recommended

I did buy a USB-C to VGA & it didn't work, I think USB would be the same as HP have now said only HDMI will work.

Problem is my second monitor doesn't have a HDMI input, i'm now trying to find out if a DVI to HDMI adaptor on my second screen will work.

HP Recommended

@ajpoland90 

No, not all USB ports are the same. 

My suggestion was for a USB-A to VGA adapter to plug into one of the USB ports on the back of the monitor.  I am using one of those successfully to drive a third monitor, but I had to try several of them to find one that worked well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.