Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy h8
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I upgraded to windows 10 from 8.1 a while ago and everything seemed fine. Then last week I found that several functions did not work on the PC. Like start button, Windows Store, Some of the apps etc etc. Not too worried but thought I would do a reset after reading about it on the Microsoft website. Followed the instructions and kept my files but when the PC had finiished I found that all software that either came with the PC or that I had installed had gone.

I still had the installation discs for the software that I installed but could not find out how to resinstall the software that came preinstalled when I bought the PC. Most of it I dont mind but I would really like to reinstall Win Tv7.

I vaguely recall seeing a while back about reinstalling software from the recovery partition but cant seem to do that now and the HP website only has an update for Win TV for windows 8.

Anyone got any ideas please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Gordonmac8

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about problems with Win TV and wanted to help -- but need more information.

We need the detail product number of your PC.  There should be a sticker with this information on the case.

There is more than one model of your notebook and we need the specific model number to search for information about it.

I've personally found the Win10 upgrades to be a mixed bag -- some work fine, most have problems, some fail miserably!

The only way to reinstall the HP software that came preinstalled on the PC is to use something known as HP Recovery Media.  This is a set of DVDs and a CD, or USB stick, that will erase the hard drive (removing all data, settings, and applications, reinstall the original OS, drivers, and some HP Utilities. In some cases, you may be able to order a USB stick instead of disks.  You have to order these from HP; they can not be downloaded.

If you're interested in that approach, then let me know -- and I'll see if recovery media is available using the detail product number of your PC.

As to versions of software, unless the PC comes with Win10 preinstalled from HP, even if there was a Win10 version of the HP software, there is no way to download and install it.  So, you'd have the same problem.

We can proceed once you provide the information.

Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Gordonmac8

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about problems with Win TV and wanted to help -- but need more information.

We need the detail product number of your PC.  There should be a sticker with this information on the case.

There is more than one model of your notebook and we need the specific model number to search for information about it.

I've personally found the Win10 upgrades to be a mixed bag -- some work fine, most have problems, some fail miserably!

The only way to reinstall the HP software that came preinstalled on the PC is to use something known as HP Recovery Media.  This is a set of DVDs and a CD, or USB stick, that will erase the hard drive (removing all data, settings, and applications, reinstall the original OS, drivers, and some HP Utilities. In some cases, you may be able to order a USB stick instead of disks.  You have to order these from HP; they can not be downloaded.

If you're interested in that approach, then let me know -- and I'll see if recovery media is available using the detail product number of your PC.

As to versions of software, unless the PC comes with Win10 preinstalled from HP, even if there was a Win10 version of the HP software, there is no way to download and install it.  So, you'd have the same problem.

We can proceed once you provide the information.

Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you WAWood you have answered my query. I created restore discs when I got the pc. I have used them in the past to do a factory reset and understand how that works. The PC  is running fine right now just no tv player. I don't watch tv very often on it so its not the end of the world. I have looked at other tv players with varying success. I guess I'll just have to keep trying!

It has always made me think though that for all these years manufacturers and suppliers have included bloat ware but you can never just reinstall the odd piece of software that you actually want!

Never mind, thanks again. No further action at this time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.