Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Okay I have seen all the automatic repair questions and how people are fixing it. Honestly all I want is to recover my word documents (and preferably all my documents), put them on an external hard drive, transfer them to another device and be able to move on. Unfortunately they did not safe to my Microsoft account and I have tried everything to get my original computer to work by doing all the steps for the automatic repair but this computer is long dead. I have tired backing up my documents on a hard drive. Then transferring them to the other computer but that didn’t work. Is there a way to move my 2 word documents I need from this computer to a new one.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Ham8 -- physically remove the disk-drive from your computer, and then connect the disk-drive as a "secondary" disk-drive on a different desktop computer. On that computer, boot from its "primary" disk-drive. You should be able to use the Windows "File explorer" app to open any files/folders on the secondary disk-drive, and copy the files/folders to a USB memory-stick.  Then, retain the USB stick to  be used to "restore" your files/folders onto another computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.