Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 Small Form Factor PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I'm typing this post on my hp compaq elite 8300 sff desktop computer, product # C7F63UC#ABA, I'm wanting to update my bios to the most recent version that I can install on my computer. The bios version that's currently installed is: HP K01 v02.51 dated 06/15/2012 , I've read about newer bios version's that are currently available for my desktop, and also read where certain employees of hp try and persuade users not to perform a bios update, I've always been told by various technically minded individuals that by keeping all of the software updated it normally makes a computer function better. Hopefully a community member will be able to assist me with this, and if so thanks so much in advance .

David W.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @DavyP49 

Since none of the BIOS updates were written to be run on W10, I recommend that you use the F10 BIOS setup flash method to update the BIOS.

Using that method, you will not be in Windows to update the BIOS.

It is very easy to do.

When you run the v2.99 sp73099.exe file that TheOldMan posted, an info page should open.

You want to follow the instructions under the F10 Setup BIOS flash method.

Here is my 'Cliff's Notes' version for how to do that.

Get a USB flash drive.

Format it with the FAT32 file system.

At the bottom of the F10 Setup BIOS flash section on that info page, you will see a link to click on labeled 'View Contents of DOS Flash Folder.

Open that folder and copy the file contents of the folder to your USB flash drive.

Just the files, not the folder.

Restart the PC.

Press/Tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F10 Setup option.

Select the File tab>Flash System ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC should 'see' the BIOS files on the flash drive.

Follow the onscreen instructions to update the BIOS.

Then do the same thing when you run sp95971.

Format the USB flash drive again to remove the older BIOS files before running the newer BIOS update.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I found the latest update that that PC.  There is an update 03.08 Rev.A dated Apr 26, 2019

sp95971.exe

However before doing that update, there is a prerequisite that you install version 2.99

If upgrading from a v02.xx to this version, v03.xx, the user MUST FIRST FLASH TO v02.99.
If not, upgrading to v03.xx will be rejected.

here is v02.99

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp73001-73500/sp73099.exe

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi, @DavyP49 

Since none of the BIOS updates were written to be run on W10, I recommend that you use the F10 BIOS setup flash method to update the BIOS.

Using that method, you will not be in Windows to update the BIOS.

It is very easy to do.

When you run the v2.99 sp73099.exe file that TheOldMan posted, an info page should open.

You want to follow the instructions under the F10 Setup BIOS flash method.

Here is my 'Cliff's Notes' version for how to do that.

Get a USB flash drive.

Format it with the FAT32 file system.

At the bottom of the F10 Setup BIOS flash section on that info page, you will see a link to click on labeled 'View Contents of DOS Flash Folder.

Open that folder and copy the file contents of the folder to your USB flash drive.

Just the files, not the folder.

Restart the PC.

Press/Tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F10 Setup option.

Select the File tab>Flash System ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC should 'see' the BIOS files on the flash drive.

Follow the onscreen instructions to update the BIOS.

Then do the same thing when you run sp95971.

Format the USB flash drive again to remove the older BIOS files before running the newer BIOS update.

HP Recommended

Hello All,

I'm ALWAYS so appreciative of receiving the help & information I needed when posting a question here in the hp support community. With that being stated, I did in fact find these same two bios files yesterday while I was reading questions & answers here here in the community. I even downloaded both of these bios files & and after going into the properties of both of them and unblocked them I clicked on open, and they did in fact open but I'm thinking I didn't look hard enough in  the windows file explorer area because at least yesterday I was unable to find those bios files. Today I didn't seem to have any trouble at all finding both them, now all I have to do is read & re-read the installation instructions that have been provided to me so I can hopefully perform the installation properly on the first attempt.

Thanks,

David 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, David.

HP Recommended

I've printed out the detailed instructions and now I'm going to perform the procedure as outlined, I've already copied the contents ONLY of the DOS file folder to my usb drive which is formatted in the FAT32 file system. I'll let you guy's know how everything went, hopefully positive!

David

HP Recommended

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I was able to update my bios to the latest version successfully, thanks again for the valued assistance that I received from everyone that was involved. Please Stay Safe & Healthy !

David 

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance. 

You stay safe and well too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.