Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 870-157c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bluetooth devices no longer work with this system - driver error...

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE

Current driver installed: 20.60.0.4

Drive Date: 5/4/2018

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling/updating the driver with reboots in between, but the problem persists. When the driver is uninstalled and I attempt to reinstall it through 'Update Driver' in Device Manager, I receive this status message:

Windows found drivers for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install them:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

BTW, Bluetooth was working fine for the past year. An online search reveals this is a pretty common occurrence that is likely related to a Windows 10 update, however, fixing the issue has been elusive. Any suggestions to resolve this Bluetooth issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TahoeRoland

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand you have Bluetooth driver failure,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Have you run the hardware test on the wireless adapter to identify any hardware issues within the Bluetooth device?
  • Have you installed the latest drivers for your wireless adapter from the HP website?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Figure : Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

4. The Component Tests menu displays.

Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Figure : Sample list of Component Tests

Sample List of the Component tests

5. Select Bluetooth Module Test – The Bluetooth Module Test checks the system to make sure the Bluetooth module is properly detected and enabled for use. (This test is not available in the Windows version of the hardware diagnostics at this time.)
    To run the test, click Bluetooth Module, and then click Run once.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

And get back to us with the results of the test, and make sure the drivers are updated from the website.

Keep me posted,

For I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, if you don't get back to us 😉 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@TahoeRoland

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand you have Bluetooth driver failure,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Have you run the hardware test on the wireless adapter to identify any hardware issues within the Bluetooth device?
  • Have you installed the latest drivers for your wireless adapter from the HP website?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Figure : Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

4. The Component Tests menu displays.

Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Figure : Sample list of Component Tests

Sample List of the Component tests

5. Select Bluetooth Module Test – The Bluetooth Module Test checks the system to make sure the Bluetooth module is properly detected and enabled for use. (This test is not available in the Windows version of the hardware diagnostics at this time.)
    To run the test, click Bluetooth Module, and then click Run once.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

And get back to us with the results of the test, and make sure the drivers are updated from the website.

Keep me posted,

For I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, if you don't get back to us 😉 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Problem resolved. Thanks for the suggestion about accessing the HP diagnostics utility at boot-up. I ran the suggested test, along with the more-comprehensive system test. Everything passed the various tests - no issues noted. Upon reboot, bluetooth was functioning again. I have no idea how simply running a diagnostic test without 'fixing' a discovered problem can clear-up a problem, but since it now works I will leave it in the category of 'magic happens'.

BTW, I had to uninstall and re-install my Logitech bluetooth mouse and keyboard to get them functioning again. Mouse was easy, keyboard was a real PITA.

Thanks again for your assistance with this matter.

HP Recommended

@TahoeRoland,

I am glad that the issue is fixed. As @Riddle_Decipher is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf.

Please mark his public post as an accepted solution so that it will benefit several others with the same issue. Also please give him a  kudos for his efforts to help.

Take care and have a blessed day ahead. 

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.