Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion - 24 -b237c - All-in-One with Touchscreen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

During an upgrade from HP my power went out. The upgrade continued when power returned but when I went to use my Bluetooth it was not listed in Device Manager. Also, in Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controller, there were 2 adapters that read "Unknown USB Device -Device Descriptor Request Failed. Under Properties the detail said it was a Code 43.

I tried deleting the entire Universal Serial Bus Controller and rebooting the computer but it came back with the same error.

Also, I lost my touchscreen. Everything else seems to be working well. I'm nervous that this is something in the registry and I don't want to mess with it unless I'm 100% sure of what I'm doing.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Karrie1 

I would run HP Support Assistant as it will find and download the drivers you need from HP.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

That was the first thing I tried and it did not work. I also tried to download the correct drivers for Bluetooth from both HP and Intel. The Bluetooth app is in "Apps ", but Bluetooth is not in device manager. Also, in doing a system scan I get that there is no Bluetooth device when I know there is.  I tried to download and install the driver for the touch screen with no success.

It seems there is some corruption at the registry level. I've considered buying one of those PC repair programs but I'm not sure if it will work or cause even more problems.

HP Recommended

@Karrie1 

Those PC Repair apps are generally NOT worth the money -- as they do stuff that you can already get from free apps like Windows Repair, as these generally do not fix driver issues.

Your best bet, since update got corrupted, would probably be to do a system reset using HP recovery media -- but be sure to back up any personal files, first.

If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.

The recovery drive can then be used to install Win10 and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

HP Recommended

I was hoping for a less drastic solution.

HP Recommended

@Karrie1 

Yeah -- I understand, as I always "shudder" at the thought of doing this myself -- as it then takes me DAYS to get my PC back to the way I like it with all the apps and settings.

The problem is, this appears to be a DRIVER problem and the less-drastic solution, known as a Repair-Install, while it does reinstall the Windows OS and leave other stuff intact, the second is the issue -- it leaves other stuff intact, including the drivers.

If you want to try that, here is the information ...

To do this, you will need to use the link to download Win10 installation media and either burn a DVD or create a USB stick: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit). Make sure you select the same version as needed for your PC. If you do not, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code!

Once you have that media, follow the instructions in the link: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.