Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to update the BIOS, and have followed HP's recommended method's, through the install assistant, and manually by clicking on the file in the downloads folder, without success. I have disabled the virus software, updated everything prior through the update menu in the settings, tried downloading through an other browser ( chrome ), tried disabling smart screen in edge and downloading, checked if it's blocked through the properties.. Not sure why it isn't updating but I only have a few other ways to my knowledge but not thinking it'\s gonna work. It starts going through the setup process but just doesn't complete.. I havr restarted the PC after every attempt and checked the BIOS version and it isn't updating.. I installed a fresh version of windows 10 when I got the PC 2 days ago, including formatting the drive before the install. I've tried finding various answers on google and the HP site but I am at a loss...  What am I missing? Next step is to install it manually through the BIOS from a flash drive. I don't mean to seem ill-knowledged or like I haven't looked hard enough for the answer but... ??  My purpose is to get NVMe support through a Yateng adapter on a Samsung 970m Pro NVMe ssd.. I know I can as I did it with a computer from 2011...I was informed I should have the latest BIOS so am stuck here. Thanks guys!!!

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would just update the BIOS using the F10 setup flash method.

It is the easiest and safest way to update the BIOS.

Download and run the latest BIOS update for your PC.

An info page will open.   Follow the instructions under the below section...

Startup Menu / F10 Setup BIOS Flashing

The HP Business Desktop systems provide a BIOS upgrade option through both the Startup Menu and the F10 Setup utility using the "Flash System ROM" feature.  Reboot the PC and press the Escape key to display the Startup Menu. Use the arrow keys to select Utilities, and then select the Flash System ROM option. Alternatively, reboot the PC and press F10 to access the BIOS Setup utility. In the File menu, select Flash System ROM.  Either method requires that removable media be present (USB storage or data CD) that contains the BIOS binary image file in the root directory. The binary image file can be found in the DOS Flash folder and is named xxx_MMmm.bin where "xxx" is the BIOS family, "MM" is the major version number, and "mm" is the minor version number.  To create a CD for updating the BIOS, use a blank CD-R or CD-RW disk on a system with a CD-RW or DVD+RW drive, and write the binary to the disk using any CD-burning software (Windows 7 and Vista support burning data CDs without additional software). If a BIOS Setup password has been set, the password will be required before being able to access the "Flash System ROM" menu. The user is notified when the process is completed.  The new BIOS code will not take effect until the PC is restarted.

View Contents of DOS Flash Folder

Get a USB flash drive.  Format it with the FAT32 file system.

Copy the file contents of the DOS flash folder to your USB flash drive.  Just the files, not the folder.

Restart the PC.  Immediately start tapping the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F10 setup option and press the Enter key.

Select the File tab, Flash System ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC should 'see' the BIOS files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Well, I also read that I may have to update 1 by 1 up to the newest version (2.77). I am such a noob... So now I'm left trying to locate v2.51, the update after v2.33 (which is the current version installed). Man, every time I think I am making progress with PC knowledge, I get another model and it starts all over again, and somehow ends up being difficult to get to the goal of my focus. Then the different terminology used between the tech's, and the guys in the forum's, and etc... Always a very very deep can of worms! Would you by chance tell e if what i read was wrong? About trying to update each file individually (when I eventually find the first handful of updates). I have only been able to locate down to 2.65. And I tried installing that as well but the same thing happens...it starts the process, I verify the first few permissions, and then it just stops and nothing happens, as if it is being blocked. Mind you, this is only the first step in reaching the goal I have for this machine.. hope that's no indicator of the road ahead!! lol  If it is, fine, bring it on.. Just eager to get to get things accomplished.

Thank you for your time!

HP Recommended

I tried the link to the contents of the OS flash folder and got "An unexpected error has occurred"...starting to think that there's an organization's security setting on here that's blocking these files from being seen and\or downloaded..?

HP Recommended

deleted.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I read all of the BIOS release notes for the previous versions, and none of them seem to require an intermediate update.

So, that means you can go right from 2.33 to 2.77.

I don't understand what issues you are facing with the files.

Here is what I would try...

Download the v2.77 file and don't run it.

Download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

https://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the file you downloaded and select 7-zip from the list of items on the menu.

Have 7-zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp96014).

Once that is done, you can click on the unzipped driver folder and see all of the files in there.

You want to copy and paste the files in the DOS Flash folder to your USB flash drive.  Just the files, not the folder.

Those are the only files in that sp96014 folder that you need.

HP Recommended

I tried extracting the contents with 7 zip already, but am getting an "access denied" error..  I called it a night and just figured I would pick back up today. I'll try your link and if I get the same error I'll adjust the permissions and see what happens. 

HP Recommended

It works fine for me, so the issue is on your end.

Maybe use a different PC to DL the file.

HP Recommended

I just got the computer used and replaced a couple things and seem to either get an error or it doesn't complete the installation when I try updating important complements..  is there a chance that there's a security policy embedded in the chip disabling these options to update certain things?

And also, I didn't see the need to update the BIOS incrementally as I didn't see anything in about of the notes either, but I tend to miss things sometimes.. my eyes aren't so great after years of welding.. I really appreciate your help!

HP Recommended

I've tried DL'ing on 3 different networks and Ethernet. I'm sure the problem is on my end.. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.