Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hallo mdklassen,

thanks for your recent posts. They help solving my problem.

Just two more questions:

1. What happens if a bios update fails? Can I throw the machine away or are there any remedies? I ask this because I never did that before and there are quite a few warnings webwide. I am still hesitating whether I should do it or not
  2. If I put the update file on an usb-stick, do I have to make it bootable?.

Kind regards and thanks again

Joern

HP Recommended

1. What happens if a bios update fails? Can I throw the machine away or are there any remedies?
    I ask this because I never did that before and there are quite a few warnings webwide.
    I am still hesitating whether I should do it or not.
  2. If I put the update file on an usb-stick, do I have to make it bootable?;

1. The HP software that applies the update does try to save a copy of the current BIOS, to your disk-drive, before replacing it.  The software also has a "recovery" procedure, involving holding-down the "Windows" key and the "B" key, and then powering-on the computer, to try to load the BIOS from that "saved" copy.  Yes, a "failed" update can cause major problems.

2. Not necessarily.  On some computers, you enter BIOS SETUP mode, and select the "BIOS update" function, and it will try to read the new BIOS file from an attached USB stick.  For HP computers, the exact procedure is documented in a file that is bundled with the downloaded package.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.