Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Omen Desktop 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I just bought an HP Omen Desktop  870-224

My Monitor has a VGA cable,fullsizeoutput_af9.jpeg

that looks like this. However, my Desktop which I am trying to connect it too, has no VGA Cable output slot. In the manual, it even shows that it has a VGA cable slot.

Here is what the Back of my Desktop Looks like. I do Not see any VGA Cable, but I do see a DVI-D slot. 

Is there anywhere that I can buy a VGI to DVI-D ? Or do I just need to take off some of the panelling to find my VGI? Please help.

IMG_6781.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ElisJay

Welcome to HP Support Forums and congratulations on your purchase of the OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 870-224.

You're correct. This PC does not have a VGA port and therefore you cannot connect a VGA monitor directly to it. 

Please click here to check the product specifications of the PC. It shows that the PC has the  GEFORCE GTX 1060 graphics card. This card has the DVI as well as the HDMI ports. You could use a converter (DVI-VGA or HDMI to VGA) to connect and use your monitor with this PC. These converters should be available a local computer store

I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to let me know if you have any further questions. 

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

@ElisJay

You must use a DVI-I to connect to a VGA monitor. DVI comes in 2 modes, DVI-I and DVI-D.  

DVI-D is strictly digital, it does not support analog (VGA).

Look at those white DVI connectors.  The DVI-I has a flat blade with 2 female contacts above and below the flat blade.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@wb2001

Hi,

Since there are no DVI-I on the PC it is not possible to use a DVI-I to VGA adapter. The solution is to either use a different monitor, or get a DVI-D to VGA converter or HDMI to VGA converter.

Examples:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hdmi+to+vga+converte...

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

@ElisJay,

The only means to convert DVI-D to VGA is via a converter box.   Source document.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.