Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700-215 XT Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear Community,

I have a HP 700-215 XT PC that came with Windows 7 purchased back in December 2017, upgraded with 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4790 processor quad-core [3.6GHz, 8MB Shared Cache] and 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 745. I  cannot install the latest Windows 10 Build 19041.450 on my HP 700-215 XT PC. I need the updated Windows 10 OS to use the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Can anyone please help?

Thank You,

Paul

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@paulwayne317 

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

This is one of those unfortunate circumstances where you are going to have to upgrade to newer hardware to get what you want.

Your computer is not supported for Windows 2004 - there are not any software / drivers and even the BIOS for this system is over a year old.

Software and drivers for HP ENVY 700-215xt CTO Desktop PC 

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY 700-215xt CTO Desktop PC 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to show appreciation for the help.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find a solution.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dear Dragon-Fur, Hi.

I purchased this PC with Windows 7, then upgraded to Windows 10. I thought that all Windows 7 PC's could be upgraded to the latest Windows 10 versions.

What newer hardware would I need to upgrade to the latest Windows 10 OS? This PC was a bit pricy with upgraded i7 processor and Nvidia GeForce graphics. Do I need to purchase a new PC?

Thank You,

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi, @paulwayne317 

I don't know why that model wouldn't run the latest version of W10, v2004.

I have it installed on much older HP desktops than yours going back to ones that came with Vista.

I don't know how bad you want to upgrade, but you could try a clean install and see if you can get v2004 that way.

If you don't currently use any backup imaging software, what you could do is to download and install the free Macrium reflect software, and create a system image of your current configuration, and make the bootable rescue media you boot from to access the system image stored on the portable hard drive.

https://www.macrium.com/products/home

That way if W10 v2004 won't even clean install, it won't be as painful to go back to where you are now.

Use the media creation tool to create bootable W10 installation media from the link below. The file you get will be for v2004.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

During the installation process, when you get to the part of the installation that asks you to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, since Microsoft has a record of your PC having been previously upgraded to W10.

HP Recommended

@paulwayne317 

Good news, then!

Paul will guide you.

@Paul_Tikkanen 

Thank you.

I am glad to be wrong about the migration option.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I have a Dell Optiplex 7020 desktop PC with the i5-4590 processor and it works just fine on W10 v 2004.  Mfd 2014

I have two HP 8200 Elite CMT's with i7-2600 processors running W10 v 2004  mfd 2011

A HP 6200 Pro with the i5-2400, W10 v2004  mfd 2011

HP 8000 Elite, Pentium E8400, W10 v2004  - mfd 2010

dc7800 Pentium E8300, W10 2004.  This is the model mfd in 2008.

HP Recommended

Paul,

Thank You for the quick reply. Can I go to the Microsoft web site and download Windows 10  v2004 as a clean install? I need the Windows 10 build version 18362.0 or higher to run the new Microsoft Flight Simulator program.

I am not familiar with imaging software, I will read and learn.  I always create a restore point for a system restore if the Windows updates or software creates a problem. It has worked every time.

Thank You,

Paul

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

A restore point won't help when you clean install Windows, because it over writes the existing installation.

The only reason I suggest you make a system image of the current installation using Macrium reflect is there is no 100% guarantee a clean install will work.  It should but, I can't 100% guarantee it.

Restoring from a system image will save you hours of time reloading an older version of Windows and all of your software, etc.

The OS build info from that file will be 19041.450

Do you know what build you have now?

18362 is version 1903, so do you have an older version that that?

If so, I can give you an ISO file to version 1903 and see if you can update it without a clean install.

You would burn the ISO file to a DVD, let it autorun from the windows desktop and it will upgrade from there.

If it works, then you wouldn't have to clean install anything and you could try to update to version 2004 in the future.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

My HP 700-215XT has Windows 10 version 1803, build 17134.1345.  Is the 1803 version the previous version of the 1903 version? I  just updated 2 weeks ago using the Windows Update Assistant.  This is my backup PC that has the upgraded NVidia graphics card and i7 processor. 

My every day PC HP 750-555QE has the latest Win 10 OS, version 2004 build 19041.450, but it cannot run the new Microsoft Flight Simulator due to the Intel HD 630 graphics.

What do you suggest?

Thank You again Paul for all your help..

Paul F

HP Recommended

Hi:

The version you have on your  700-215 XT is a year older than v1903.

OK, so here is what you can try...let's go with the auto v1903 upgrade.

You will need to have a DVD burner and a writable DVD.

Install this free DVD burning software. 

Click on the More Download options link, and download the default installer without Install core.

https://www.cdburnerxp.se/en/download

Here is the link to the W10 v1903 English (US) 64 bit ISO file.   The link will be good for 24 hours from the time of this reply.

https://software-download.microsoft.com/pr/Win10_1903_V2_English_x64.iso?t=6261d8b7-c9c9-40a1-ab9e-f...

Download the file.  Open the CD Burner XP program and select the 4th item on the menu...Burn ISO file.

Burn the ISO file to a DVD at the slowest speed you can 1 or 2x so you get a good strong burn.

After you burn the DVD, put it in your 700-215XT DVD drive and let it autorun.  You may have to tell it to run the setup.exe file.

Then you should be asked if you want to upgrade the PC to V1903 and you can proceed from there.

Hopefully you will not be met with failure, and you will be able to run flight simulator 2020.

Another thing you can do if you want would be to install the GTX 745 graphics card from the 700-215XT into your primary PC, since it would support such an upgrade.  Then you can put the blank PCI metal filler from the HP 750 into your 700-215XT.

You may have to disable secure boot first in the BIOS for your PC to accept the GTX 745, since the video card was not original to your 750-555QE.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.