Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 600 G2 Base Model Small Form Factor PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have several Prodesk G6's and All-in-One G8's that will not run an .exe file unless it resides on the computer itself. If I have a network shared drive or plug in a thumb drive, I must copy the .exe to the computer before it runs. I always get an error that states Windows cannot access xxxx.exe You do not have permission to access xxxx.exe.

It is not my antivirus software as I have removed it from several computers with the same results. My Windows Defender firewall is turned off. HP Sure Click has been removed from the computers, and all the permissions on the file are set correctly. I did manage to take out a brand new HP Elite 800 G6 All-in-One and without installing anything, make the program run correctly. All of my computers are Windows 10 21H2.

Is there an HP add-on product that is causing this on my computers?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I am guessing that your new system works because it has not yet been updated and contains older runtime code that allow the app on the network share to run.

I am not a network expert but I have seen similar problems on several Synology systems I use.

Please read the following discussion and examine the links provided "Other similar posts "

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2193810-sporadically-unable-to-run-exe-from-network-share-win...

You may have to do some debugging such as running that process monitor to get more detailed error messages.  Possibly the event viewer may show more info such as an attempt to "phone home" that is denied.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply BeemerBiker. The materials did peek my interest as I once used Cylance and removed it for another product, yet the registry still had Cylance in it. Problem is, both computers, the one not working and the one working both had Cylance on them and it was removed for CrowdStrike.

Numerous threads out there on this going back to 2017 but very little solutions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.