04-03-2019 04:05 AM
I've tried the usual ways offered on the internet, to no avail.
As you can see in the attachment, upon sending chrome://policy, it refers to the
HP Client Security Manager's enabled plugins as the culprit. This software has been uninstalled weeks ago.
09-18-2019 04:37 AM
I've also tried the following so far to no avail:
- chrome://extensions/ - no extensions installed, other than Google Docs Offline and related apps
- chrome://settings/cleanup - check for malicious software
- chrome://settings/content - looked for any HP related settings, none found.
I also opened the "HP Client Security" (app), however it has not yet been setup.