Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HPE Series
My computer is spamming random keys 24/7. No matter what program is running, it may spam the space, tab, dash, or random letters or numbers. It’s not the keyboard because I took the batteries out of it and it continued to spam the keys. I tried to fix it by slowing down the relay but it changed nothing. The only time it doesn’t do it is for a few minutes after I turn the computer off and then back on and everything loads back. I have online college work to do ASAP so please answer. This is from my phone.
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@JGlenn96,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand, your keyboard types randomly. 

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

When was the last time it worked fine?

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps? 

Were there any hardware/software changes? 

Does this happen in all the application or any particular one?

What is the product number and operating system?

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Step 1: Run a complete virus scan on your computer.

Step 2: Check the keyboard functionality in Command prompt by following these steps: 

• Turn off the computer and wait at least 5 seconds with the computer in a full off state.
  • Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key, about once every second, until you see the Windows loading screen.
  • If a language selection screen opens, select the language you want to use to continue.
  • On the Choose your keyboard layout screen, select the keyboard layout that matches your keyboard type.
  • On the Choose an option screen, select advance options 
  • Select Command Prompt and check the keyboard there.

If the issue does not persist, please perform a system recovery using HP Recovery Media. Follow steps from the article to order HP Recovery Media.

If the issue persists in Command Prompt, I would suggest you contact our phone support.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

* Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.