Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP TouchSmart all in one 9300 MXL13405XP
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

The instructions to create this bios update USB stick says to download the bios update, click on it to run it, and choose the option to create a USB bios update. I do not get that option. All it wants to do is update the bios. That does me no good when I am trying to create this to use on a different pc that won't post. The bios update is sp58483.exe.

What do I do?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@den9421 

The alternative would be to create a boot USB stick on one PC, copy the HP BIOS update file to the stick, insert that into the other PC, boot from it, and run the BIOS update from that USB stick.

You will need to create Boot Media using a working PC.

Macrium Reflect is a free tool that can be used to image and restore PCs, but it also has an option to create Rescue Media (in disk or USB form) that can then be used to bot and/or Repair your PC.

It is available from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
a) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
b) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

c) copy the HP BIOS update file to the USB stick

Note that when you boot your PC from the MR media -- it will take a while, so be patient!

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The USB stick BIOS update option normally works with Laptop/Notebook PCs.

You could try replacing the CR2032 MB battery to see if this will allow the PC to POST.

The MB may have failed if the PC is dead. Maybe the external power supply is in trouble if you see some MB activity but no video.

You could pull RAM and disconnect the HDD to see if you get any POST error codes.

Regards

HP Recommended

I tried the USB creator and it won't boot up to it. So, I tried the DVD version, also. It won't boot up to that, either....

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

None of the keyboard options work. W+B does nothing nor does W+R or W+Shift. I've tried holding them down and tapping as it starts, nothing...

I tried to create the bios update USB drive. When I run the downloaded file, I do not get the option to create the USB drive. All it will do is install it on the PC which does me no good what so ever. Why does it not give that option? The file is sp58483.exe

HP Recommended

@Den942 

Apologies for jumping in unannounced.

You included that you are running version Windows 8.1

The information file for this executable states the update supports specific Operating System Versions.

sp58483.html

OPERATING SYSTEM(S):
Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Enterprise
Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Home Basic
Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium
Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Professional
Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Starter
Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Ultimate
Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise
Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Professional
Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
Microsoft Windows Vista Business 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows Vista Business 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

LANGUAGE(S):
US English

ENHANCEMENTS:
N/A

FIXES:
- Resolves network issue when booting from a non-Windows PXE server.

PREREQUISITES:
- You must be logged on as an administrator to install this update.
- You must have a Microsoft Windows 7, Vista, or XP operating system.

=============================================================

Curious...

Is it the case that this BIOS update supports other than what is stated in the file?

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Be Aware

Please do not call random 800 numbers posted by new / unknown members.

Watch out for buried or hidden links in posts you do not recognize.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@den9421 

The information  posted by @Dragon-Fur is CRITICAL -- as HP BIOS updates are OS-version specific, meaning you can't run a BIOS update written to run in Win7, when your PC is running Win8x.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

How does one update the BIOS on a PC that will not POST? 😕

You have to solve this problem before you attempt to update the BIOS.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.