Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Elite 8300 Desktop

I just bought a new computer. ( HP Elite 8300 SFF Desktop Computer (Intel i7-3770/240GB SSD + 2TB HDD/ 16GB RAM/ Win 10 Pro) - Refurbished

The DVD drive on the computer gives error message: "Please inset a disk into DVD Drive (D:) " even though a disk has been inserted. It has done this right from the start with all CDs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Myname2 

I regularly buy refurbished PCs myself as I can not afford the new ones, but I don't always get a "good" one.

The only basis that comes to mind for this is that either the CD/DVD device is not connected properly to the motherboard, or the SATA port it is connected to is faulty.  The first you can check by opening the case.  The second you can check by switching the SATA cable for the CD/DVD device to another port.  If it's connected and the port switching does nothing, then the drive itself is most likely faulty -- and you should not have to be replacing components in a PC you just bought.

With refurbs, the warranty is with the seller, not with HP.  So, instead of the one-year warranty, you typically get 30 days or less.  If yours is within the return period, I would return it and either get a replacement or a refund.  

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Myname2 

I regularly buy refurbished PCs myself as I can not afford the new ones, but I don't always get a "good" one.

The only basis that comes to mind for this is that either the CD/DVD device is not connected properly to the motherboard, or the SATA port it is connected to is faulty.  The first you can check by opening the case.  The second you can check by switching the SATA cable for the CD/DVD device to another port.  If it's connected and the port switching does nothing, then the drive itself is most likely faulty -- and you should not have to be replacing components in a PC you just bought.

With refurbs, the warranty is with the seller, not with HP.  So, instead of the one-year warranty, you typically get 30 days or less.  If yours is within the return period, I would return it and either get a replacement or a refund.  

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.