Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 750-610rz CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HI,

I have had several HP desktops over the years and as an experienced user of PC hardware /Software do like to the the HP Support Assistant to check my drivers, hardware and OS. But as of a year or so ago, I have found the Support Assistant to be unreliable and non-functional. I currently have Version: 9.17.31.0 installed.

The problem is that I go to use it, such as "optimize performance" or check OS and it does nothing. In the past , I would see a pop-up open that would allow me to use the function...now nothing. I go to drivers update section and it shows, restart, but button to restart does not work.

So I uninstall the app, download the latest version, reinstall the app and then it works great. 1 day, 1 week, 1 month later, I launch the app and it's dead again...This becomes a vicious circle...So, I cannot use the app.

Can anyone shed some light on this and help? Windows 10, 64 bit,19044.1766, AND Ryzen 5 1600 and AMD graphic card

Thank, John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your tips and taking time to respond to my query, although the real point of my question and frustration is about why the HP Support Assistant keeps dying on me after just one session.It wasn't about finding drivers and updates to my firmware, bios, drivers 7 software...

The tools that I really use in the app are for system checking and diagnosis (when needed). I do not have "auto-updates" turned on because as you point out, I can find drivers for my PC elsewhere.

The HP Support Assistant used to be a good tool. If I have to uninstall and reinstall it every-time i want to use it, well...it is useless. I guess HP does not want to support it anymore.

Thanks,
Again

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your tips and taking time to respond to my query, although the real point of my question and frustration is about why the HP Support Assistant keeps dying on me after just one session.It wasn't about finding drivers and updates to my firmware, bios, drivers 7 software...

The tools that I really use in the app are for system checking and diagnosis (when needed). I do not have "auto-updates" turned on because as you point out, I can find drivers for my PC elsewhere.

The HP Support Assistant used to be a good tool. If I have to uninstall and reinstall it every-time i want to use it, well...it is useless. I guess HP does not want to support it anymore.

Thanks,
Again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.