Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 22bw
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

My desktop recently has a black screen and it tells me to check video cable and I keep disconnecting the cords and connecting them back after 5 seconds but nothing works what can I do 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Arely1, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Do you see the message "Check video cable" on the monitor or the PC?

Try connecting a different Notebook/PC to this monitor and check if it works.

Use the following steps to make sure the video connection between the PC and monitor is good:

1. Remove the video cable from the computer and monitor.

2. Check for bent or broken connector pins or broken pins that have become lodged inside the holes of the video connector on the computer. With the monitor and computer off, straighten bent pins with a small metal tube, like the tip of an empty mechanical pencil or the tip of a retracted pen. If any of the pins have broken off from the cable and are stuck in the small holes of the video connector (on the computer), remove the broken pins using a metal sewing pin (or similar metal pin that is thin and has a point).

Figure : Video connector

3. Connect another video cable to the computer and monitor. If possible use a different cable. For example, if your monitor has an HDMI connector and a DVI connector, use the other cable type if possible. If not, use a new cable of the same type.

For more info, refer to this document.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.