Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy All-In-One 27-b1XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi community,

I have been trying to fix this problem for a while because it is super annoying. Basically I would like to use my Function keys as on other computers. For now, I need to press Fn key to use it.

It is ridicolous! I am not able to set it up or find any solution on web. I am not mentioning this forum, someone from factory should help us probably.

I have tried all the suggestions mentioned on this forum. From changing the Bios set up to trying other keyboards. It is a computer setup problem.

I would appreciate if someone competent let us know, what to do. We bought computers to work on it, not only to use multimedia keys easily.

Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Henrich

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Henrich_Z,

Welcome to the HP Forums! 🙂
I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand that you would like to disable to Fn key so that you can use F1 to F12 keys without holding the Fn key.
Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you with your HP Envy All-In-One 27-b1XX.

You can disable or enable the Fn key functionality using the BIOS utility.

To disable or enable the function key (fn) in the BIOS follow the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press the f10 key repeatedly, about once every second to open the BIOS setup window.
  • Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

• Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the Enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
  • Select the desired mode:
  • Disabled: Requires pressing and holding the function key (fn) while pressing one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action indicated on the action key.

For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Disabled, pressing the f11 key will minimize and maximize a web browser if open. Alternatively, pressing and holding the fn + f11 keys will mute the sound.

The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.

• Enabled: Requires pressing only one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action as indicated on the action key.

For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Enabled, pressing f11 will mute the sound as indicated on the action key. Alternatively, pressing and holding fn + f11 will minimize and maximize a web browser if open.

The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.

• Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.

• The function key (fn) option can be reset at any time.

If the issue persists I recommend trying with a different keyboard.

Keep me posted with the outcome.

Have a great day! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi MKazi,

Thank you for your reply.

As I have mentioned, I have tried all these tips, no success. I don't even have an option in BIOS to set up action keys. Please fina photo of my BIOS attached.

There has to be other solution for this.20170812_111013.jpg

Thanks.

Regards,

Henrich

HP Recommended

@Henrich_Z

Hi Henrich,

thanks for replying.

Did you check in power and advanced tab in any such option in available to disable the action keys? If yes and the option is not available then it explains that this option is not supported by your PC.

Hope this helps, Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hey Henrich -

I also have the Envy all-in-one - same BIOS version as you. I can confirm I have the same issue of not having the option available in the BIOS, which is pretty lame. I have been meaning to upgrade my keyboard for a while so maybe thats what I will just have to do.

Groater

HP Recommended

Please I have the exact same bios and problem.  I fixed the issue on my HP laptop but the envy-in one desktop has different BIOS setting and does not work. PLEASE HELP.  I can't use the computer like this.  When I am in a game or application and I press the f1-f12 keys it kicks me out 

i also followed this link and did not work

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/how-do-i-disable-action-keys-I-checked-in-the-...

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, same model.

There has to be a way!

Most business applications and games use the F-keys for some function.

Locking it permantly is just impractical! 

HP Recommended

@MKazi

There has to be a solution to this.  The software I purchased this computer to use on a daily basis uses the function keys (as they generally have been function keys) to do functions that are integral to the program, not turning up the volume.  I would expect HP to have a solution.  I have an HP Envy Desktop 795-01xx.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.