Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 750-200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried to install an update with the help of the HP Support Assistent, but I get a message that the installation failed.

hpdownloadlukt niet.JPG

meldingdownload.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Mardoek53

You're most welcome. 🙂

I appreciate you taking the time to investigate this further and share the information on this platform. 

I believe it is a right decision you've made not to download and install more updates unless a need arises. 

Please keep in touch fro any further questions. 🙂

Happy Computing! 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Mardoek53

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 750-200 Desktop PC. I read that you tried to install an update through the HP Support Assistant and receive an error message that the installation failed. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Are you facing any issues with the PC due to which you tried to check for updates via the HP Support Assistant?

Meanwhile, I did some research and found that this update may not be applicable for your PC. Because the this is an update released from Intel and it says the following:

• This driver supports RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10. The driver should be installed after the operating system has been installed. F6 and RAID BIOS configurations need to be performed prior to installation of this driver for proper operation. This driver supports NVMe devices.

Only if you have RAID enabled on your PC then go for this update. Else it is not required. 

Hope this information helps. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying. :generic:

• I have no specific issues at this moment with my PC. But I try to keep everything updated as possible. That means that I download en install all the updates that show up in the HP support Assistant. I think that getting updates with the help of the HP support Assistant is the easiest way to do this.
  • I don't know if RAID is enabled on my computer. I think I can see this in the BIOS, but I don't know how to access the BIOS on this Computer. But I thought that the HP Support Assistant knows the configuration of my PC, so that I only get the updates that I need to keep the computer up to date. And I don't need to judge if I install a update or not.
  • I have also an other question about updating the computer. I noticed that there is a page on the HP website with a lot of software and drivers for the HP ENVY 750-200 Desktop PC -->

https://support.hp.com/nl-nl/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-750-200-desktop-pc-series/9259609

-->shouldn't these updates be made available in the HP Support Assistent or should I download and install them myself?

HP Recommended

@Mardoek53

You're welcome. 🙂

The HP Support Assistant will display the updates that are available in the HP website for the laptop model. Sometimes the updates may not be required by the PC. We recommend you to perform the updates only if you're facing an issue with the device. Because these updates are released to fix any ongoing issues with the laptop.

Moreover, there are nearly 25-30 PC models that fall under the HP ENVY 750-200 Desktop PC series umbrella. So no all the updates are always mandatory for the PC.

You may access the BIOS by hitting the f10 key during the initial startup of the PC. You may check the updates available for your PC through the HP website. And you need ti use the exact model no. of the PC to get to the correct page of the updates. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Hope this information helps. Cheers! 

HP Recommended

I looked at the BIOS and there is no RAID option. However the option AHCI is selected in the BIOS and i think that the driver update is also to be used for the "Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller" which is installed in my computer.

Meanwhile installing the update was after all succesful after I selected in the HP Support Assistant this:

icoon.JPG

Instead of this:

icoon2.JPG

After this the Intel InstallShield Wizard started and I don't know exactly how, but it ended with the install of the driver update.

intel_driver_install.JPG

I also went to the Intel website and it looks like there is also a newer version of this driver. And they have a Driver Update Utilety.  I'm not sure yet, but maybe I will try that program, so I can update more Intel drivers in one go.

I have found the product- and serial numbers of my computer and the pages with updates. But I'am reluctant to download and install these updates for I'm not sure what I'm doing and I don't want to create new problems.

Thank you for your help. :generic:

HP Recommended

@Mardoek53

You're most welcome. 🙂

I appreciate you taking the time to investigate this further and share the information on this platform. 

I believe it is a right decision you've made not to download and install more updates unless a need arises. 

Please keep in touch fro any further questions. 🙂

Happy Computing! 

HP Recommended

I am not so sure I agree with the underlying message that is being given in this thread. HP should know  how their products work. The inference here that they don't is astonishing. I suspect that many users have become very aware of this problem over the years.

Any manufacturer should have the capability to ensure that each individual configuration can be assessed by software tools, such that updates can be applied as requried without the user having to guess whether the update should be applied or not.

I find it absolutely abismal that HP can produce HPSA and then admit that it may not advise the user correctly.

I note that MKasi states that we should only install recommended software when we notice a problem. This I think is very poor advice - how is the user supposed to know if there is an issue developing that requires an update? I began software development in 1974, yet with all my experience of a  range of computer types and OSs I would only recognise the most obvious problems beginning. Many of my friends haven't clue and wouldn't even know where the Temp folders are located, or how to check the performance of the PC or network

The message in this thread seems at first glance to be reasonable, but on closer scrutiny I find it wanting at best. I notice that this is typical of HP in much of my owership of HP systems going back to the 90s.

I would rather HP just say that managing all the different PC configurations is too complicated. At least that would be honest. And if this is the case, then I say - limit the product range so that maintenance is managable.

I find this answer wholely unacceptible - think about it - where did it leave the user? It left him being recomended by HPSA to install a driver which fails without any sensible messages, and by tech support saying effectively 'wait until the PC shows a problem'; all of which are lacking in any possitive fault-investigation and analysis. 

I expect more from HP. It may be unfair or unrealistic to do so, but in that case HP need to help users know the realistic boundaries of support possiblity. Of course, such knowledge may scare users so much that they move to other platforms in the hope that other manufacurers do actually know how to manage their PCs.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.