Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 8300 Elite bios issue
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi

I have an 8300 elite sff with Windows 10 64bit. I currently have K01 v02.83 29/10/2012 bios.

My issue is I have 4 sticks of pc3-12800 ddr3 1600mhz memory installer but they're only running at 1333mhz. My impression is that on release these systems were set to run at 1333mhz with up to 16gb memory, but at some point an update allowed 1600mhz up to 32gb memory.

My problem is I can't figure out how to update the bios. HP support assistant shows nothing, support on the web has no downloads either. From what I've read I need to update to v02.99 before I can update to an 03.xx version.

I believe updating will allow my memory to run at 1600mhz.

Any help appreciated
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

I do not believe updating the BIOS will resolve that issue.  I can't understand why the memory doesn't run at 1600 MHz.

In any event, it is easy to update the BIOS in a DOS environment.  That way there is no need to worry about what OS you are running.

Yes, you are correct...you first need to bring the PC to v.2.99. and then to 3.04.

So...download the v2.99 file from the support page.  Select the W8.1 OS and you will get both files to download.

Run the exe on v2.99, and an information page will open, and give you many ways to update the BIOS.

Read the:  (This is the method I use all the time for my HP business desktop PC's.)

Startup Menu / F10 Setup BIOS Flashing

The HP Business Desktop systems provide a BIOS upgrade option through both the Startup Menu and the F10 Setup utility using the "Flash System ROM" feature.  Reboot the PC and press the Escape key to display the Startup Menu. Use the arrow keys to select Utilities, and then select the Flash System ROM option. Alternatively, reboot the PC and press F10 to access the BIOS Setup utility. In the File menu, select Flash System ROM.  Either method requires that removable media be present (USB storage or data CD) that contains the BIOS binary image file in the root directory. The binary image file can be found in the DOS Flash folder and is named xxx_MMmm.bin where "xxx" is the BIOS family, "MM" is the major version number, and "mm" is the minor version number.  To create a CD for updating the BIOS, use a blank CD-R or CD-RW disk on a system with a CD-RW or DVD+RW drive, and write the binary to the disk using any CD-burning software (Windows 7 and Vista support burning data CDs without additional software). If a BIOS Setup password has been set, the password will be required before being able to access the "Flash System ROM" menu. The user is notified when the process is completed.  The new BIOS code will not take effect until the PC is restarted.

You will see at the bottom of this section a link to click on labeled VIEW CONTENTS OF DOS FLASH FOLDER.

Get a USB flash drive.  Format it with the FAT32 file system, and copy the file contents of the DOS flash folder to the flash drive.

Restart the PC, tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.  Select the F10 system setup option to get acces to the BIOS.

On the File tab, select the Flash system ROM menu.

Select the USB flash drive, and the PC should see the BIOS update files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

Then repeat the same steps for v3.04.

Let me know if that gets the memory to run at 1600 HMz.  I don't think it will.  I hope that I am incorrect.

HP Recommended
Hi Paul, I really appreciate the help.

I'm starting to think it's not the bios. The 4 sticks are all g.skill and same model. Two at a time in any combo run at 1600mhz, but when I put all four in at once they and bios only register 1333mhz... It's odd.

I'm wanting to update the bios anyway. Problem though is that the support page for the 8300 elite has no downloads regardless of what OS I select.

If you have a link you could post that would be great, I might be looking I'm the wrong place. Cheers.
HP Recommended
I found the bios files. I needed to select 'change'. Will let you know outcome.

Thanks
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is really strange.

I didn't think any combination of memory ran at 1600 MHz.

Here are the direct links to the BIOS update files...

2.99:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp73001-73500/sp73099.exe

3.04:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77501-78000/sp77888.exe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.