Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Pro 4300 Small Form Factor PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased an older Compaq Pro 4300 Small Form Factor desktop which I have upgraded to Windows 10.

I was looking to update the bios - the HP Support Assistant says my BIOS version is 8.11. Is this the latest version, I couldn't find any Windows 10 bios drivers on the HP site.

Many Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC is not supported for W10 by HP.

You can find the BIOS updates under the W8 driver section of the support page.

HP Compaq Pro 4300 Small Form Factor PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

I don't know what will happen if you run a BIOS update on W10 that was designed to be run on W8.

Also, there are BIOS updates for different ROM families, so you if you want to take the risk of updating the BIOS, make sure you select the correct file for the ROM family your specific PC has.

Personally, I would not update the BIOS unless you have a way to reinstall W8.

If your PC is working fine then there really is no need to take the risk of wrecking it.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC is not supported for W10 by HP.

You can find the BIOS updates under the W8 driver section of the support page.

HP Compaq Pro 4300 Small Form Factor PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

I don't know what will happen if you run a BIOS update on W10 that was designed to be run on W8.

Also, there are BIOS updates for different ROM families, so you if you want to take the risk of updating the BIOS, make sure you select the correct file for the ROM family your specific PC has.

Personally, I would not update the BIOS unless you have a way to reinstall W8.

If your PC is working fine then there really is no need to take the risk of wrecking it.

HP Recommended

Ok Well it is working well on Windows 10 - is there anything I should be concerned about with HP not supporting windows 10 on this computer/

HP Recommended

No issues that I know of.

If you do not have any devices showing up in the device manager that need drivers, you are good to go.

HP Recommended

Excellent - Do I need to worry that my BIOS is not up to date or is that ok with Windows 10 already working on the PC without a problem.

HP Recommended

I would not be concerned.

It's up to you if you want to try updating the BIOS in W10.

The risks attendant to wrecking the PC are too great for me to advise you to do so.

A BIOS update is not going to have W10 run any better than it is now.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul 🙂 I will leave it, this thread can be closed. Many thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

If I were to update the bios how to I know what ROM family my PC is, not sure if I should install 8.15a for consumer for 8.14a for business

HP Recommended

I gave you some wrong info regarding that.  There is only one ROM family.

Your PC has BIOS family ROM Family 2ADE, and the latest BIOS update would be 8.14 for business PC's.

I don't know why 8.15 would be for Consumer PC's but your PC is classified as a business-class PC, so I would not use 8.15.

There are probably some HP consumer class PC's that use the same motherboard as the 4300 Pro.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.