Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have an HP SimpleSave portable hard drive.  However, it seems that my backup files are appearing multiple times, thus filling up the drive.  The software is confusing, as these files show up multiple times in the list of backup sources.  Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Jamie_730-1 

You are welcome.

I use several methods to back up data.

For example, some of what I have used...

• An older software that I have used for years (essentially a copy software that includes timestamps, full / incrementals, and logging information)
  • File History to an NAS system
  • Hand copies of varies files to secondary / tertiary disks onboard the workstation
  • An occasional email (nothing personal - primarily forum notes)
  • Cloud backup
  • Imager backup software - Macrium

There are so many ways to back up data that it makes sense to take advantage of whatever works for your situation.

For example, if you don't have anything special in mind, consider:

• File History is Windows software - easy to set up, can use any reasonable destination (external disk, for example)
  • OneDrive - also Windows software - I do not use this for personal data - the software works and as yet I have not had any issues with it.  Select folders rather than "everything" to keep the amount of data within bounds of the "free" amount of storage offered with the service.  (5 GB?)

Happy Computing/

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Jamie_730-1 

@Jamie_730-1 wrote:

I have an HP SimpleSave portable hard drive.  However, it seems that my backup files are appearing multiple times, thus filling up the drive.  The software is confusing, as these files show up multiple times in the list of backup sources.  Any ideas?

Yes -

If you are still using the SimpleSave software, the help files for that software are on the same disk - and in the same hierarchy (data tree) where the software resides.  From what I can remember, you can control the number of backups.  ??

Important - Protect your Data

Commentary

If the SimpleSave unit still works at all and you have access to your data, export and copy your backups to another disk, a USB stick, to the cloud - "anywhere" else.  If you cannot copy all of it due to the amount of data, then pick what you think you Must have and copy that somewhere.

AND

Start making backups of the original data using a backup software that backs up the folders and files "as is", that is, NOT in a proprietary format.

One edition of your data is not a backup - it is a recipe for loss.

One copy of your data is better, that is, a single backup - One copy of the original can be "good enough" if the data is not critical.

Two copies, each on separate formats (one in cloud, one on USB or external disk) is better yet.

Avoid software that locks your backups inside the software - this is dangerous because as soon as the software has problems, you can no longer retrieve your own data.

So, yes - suggestions and advice and words of caution - all based on experience.

Fortunately, these lessons were not result of having lost locked data, just regular data that was trusted to the "one copy" rule.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the great suggestions!  It seems the problem may be that Windows 10 lists my folders twice, once under users and once under MyPC,which is why everything was copied twice.  You raise a good point about the proprietary software and needing that to access the backed up files.    Do you just copy and paste as your backup method?  It seems that would take awhile, but it may be worth it.  

HP Recommended

@Jamie_730-1 

You are welcome.

I use several methods to back up data.

For example, some of what I have used...

• An older software that I have used for years (essentially a copy software that includes timestamps, full / incrementals, and logging information)
  • File History to an NAS system
  • Hand copies of varies files to secondary / tertiary disks onboard the workstation
  • An occasional email (nothing personal - primarily forum notes)
  • Cloud backup
  • Imager backup software - Macrium

There are so many ways to back up data that it makes sense to take advantage of whatever works for your situation.

For example, if you don't have anything special in mind, consider:

• File History is Windows software - easy to set up, can use any reasonable destination (external disk, for example)
  • OneDrive - also Windows software - I do not use this for personal data - the software works and as yet I have not had any issues with it.  Select folders rather than "everything" to keep the amount of data within bounds of the "free" amount of storage offered with the service.  (5 GB?)

Happy Computing/

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.