Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@Monty205

Thank you for posting back. 

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue by reinstalling the HP Support Assistant. 
Once the software is been instaled it will appear in the taskbar for easy access, However, you can select which icons appear on the taskbar.

• Right-click on a blank space on the taskbar and select Taskbar Settings.
  • Select "which icons appear on the taskbar"
    Note: You can even enable or disable the icons on the taskbar 
  • Choose only icons that you want to be displayed.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sadly, that does not work.

If I accept the setting in the Assistant to 'show an icon in the Task bar', then I have two identical icons on the right hand end of the task bar.

One opens the new version of the Assistant, the other just sits there and does nothing.

I have been through several convoluted options in the Task Manager and via 'regedit' which should have sorted it, but no luck.

It may be more related to the notification area than the task bar, but it just sits there, and nothing I have tried will get rid of it.

I suspect it is a redundant part of the previous version of the Assistant that, despite all efforts, has been left behind.

Any further suggestions would be welcome.

HP Recommended

@Monty205

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm not a big fan of remote assistance, but I will ponder the issue and get back to you in the next couple of days.

HP Recommended

Just as a matter of interest, this is what I have done to date.

I am thinking that this miserable, stubborn icon is actually related to the Notification Area, not the task bar as such.

I determined this by accessing the taskbar settings and using the “Use small icons” option.

The miserable, stubborn Icon did not change size with all the other icons, and as I mentioned earlier, it is at the right hand side of the taskbar next to “Show hidden icons”, which leads me to believe that it is associated with the notification area, rather than the task bar, settings.

I tried this:
I ran the Ashampoo Uninstaller again – No Luck.

I ran C-Cleaner Clean Tray Notification cache – No Luck.

I ran the New version of HP Support Assistant “Operating System” check – More in hope than any expectation – No Luck.

Then, using regedit:
Hkey_Current_User/Software/Classes/Local Settings/Software/Microsoft/Windows current version/Tray Notify

I deleted ‘iconstreams’ and ‘pasticonstream’

I then used Task Manager to restart the windows explorer process.

Still the miserable, stubborn Icon is sitting there.

There is, apparently a VB script that will “supposedly” fix this type of problem:
https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/q1-16/clear-notification-items.zip

It will probably do no more nor less than what I have tried to do manually, and anyway, I am not keen on using unverified links, from obscure sources, no matter how many folk say that it works ?

The relevant information about this is at:
https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/clear-customize-notifications-tray-items-windows-7-vista-xp/

Incidentally, 90% of the people who commented after trying the amnual process, and like me, failed, have said that the script works, but as one commenter said, it does not work in windows 10, and I am not going to start altering somebody else’s script.

So there we have it !

HP Recommended

In response to the PM; I am not at all happy about allowing access to my PC to third parties, and as everything seems to be working in the HP Support Assistant, I am prepared to put up with this miserable stubborn icon in the taskbar/notification area.

Thanks for all your assistance on this matter. I will now consider the matter sorted..

HP Recommended

@Monty205

That's not an issue at all if you're not comfortable with remote access you can just ignore that option. 

However just to mention here HP remote session is conducted by HP employee, not third party companies.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Monty205

You're welcome! 🙂

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.