Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@taherte2
I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I ran Windows update, checked for newer versions of HPSA, and "check for messages and updates" again. Still failed so I  contacted HP Support by telephone. They uninstalled and re-installed HPSA for about the sixth time and it still gets the X in a circle on the "downloading messages and updates definition". They tried to tell me that that means there are no updates. I maintained that that step should still download the list of available updates and compare them to what is already installed. Support then updated the firmware drivers and tried again. Still no luck. At that point they said we need to do a system recovery. I had a difficult time migrating and configuring all the applications from my previous desktop computer (especially MS Office and Microsoft Money) and am not willing to start all over and go through that again. Support then transferred me to level 2 where they said there was a charge of $49.99 to try to resolve the issue. If there was a money back guarantee I might have accepted the charge, but based on my experience so far on this problem, I declined. Besides, why should I pay to fix pre-installed software when the computer is still under warranty?

HP Recommended

@taherte2

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry if I said too much and let my frustration get the better of me. I appreciate the help you have given me but just didn't know where to turn to resolve the issue(s) I am having with this one particular computer. I decided last night that I am probably going to do a recovery back to the "as-delivered" condition and start over. I was not eager to do that because some of my add-on software took a lot of effort to get installed, configured, and working correctly, but if that is what it is going to take, that is what I'll do. I will wait for the HP contact that you mentioned before I do though. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

New development - on a hunch I created another user account with account type administrator. I ran HPSA and it ran without issues. It found 6 updates including a BIOS update. I signed off the account and signed back on with my normal account (also an administrator). I ran HPSA under that profile and it displayed the updates that were found under the new admin account. However, when I ran the check for updates option, it failed on the "downloading messages and update definition" step. It did finish the remaining steps without errors.

HP Recommended
The day after creating the second admin account I tried HPSA again with the intention of applying the updates. It now fails too.
HP Recommended
If I go to the support page for drivers and let the page identify my product, it seems to find it okay, but when I select it to display the available drivers I get a message that it can't retrieve the list of drivers.
HP Recommended
I took the laptop to a computer repair shop and they were able to fix all of the problems I was having. One of the key things they found was an issue with Intel firmware. They also were able to get a BIOS update on that HPSA wasn't sjhowing before. HPSA now works.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.