Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

From my HP Envy Desktop, HP Support Assistant shows 20 updates needed to my HP Spectre laptop.  When I check for updates from my Spectre laptop, there are none.  This is quite annoying because I cannot update the Spectre from my desktop, and the HP Support Assistant icon on my desktop shows a red exclamation mark.  

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software on my desktop.  This isn't the first time this has happened.  In the past, the problem mysteriously cleared itself after a couple of days.  This current problem as been there for about a month.  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@OldSchool1948 

The HPSA is a two part software - When there are severe issues, both parts should be removed.

Next time you uninstall the HP Support Assistant,  also uninstall the HP Solutions Framework.

Uninstall Process

1.  FIRST uninstall the HP Support Assistant

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

Important:  When / If asked whether you want to save any presets / personal HPSA information, respond to have your personal data associated with the program removed along with the HPSA software.

NOTE:  If the software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and then shows up again, or is otherwise not “going away” when you tell it to do so, try an Uninstaller program.

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

2.  Next, Uninstall HP Support Solutions Framework software from Programs and Features

NOTE:  HP Support Solutions Framework is a subset of HPSA.  For this reason, HPSA must be uninstalled before the Solutions Framework can be removed.

3.  Restart the computer and log in. 

Final Check – Software is Removed

• After the software is uninstalled (and the computer is Restarted), check to ensure the software is actually “gone”.

Settings > Apps > Apps & features >

Scroll down the list, look for HP Support Assistant (and / or HP Support Solutions Framework)

If the stubborn software is found in the list, click to uninstall it, Restart and log in.

Installation – HP Support Assistant

Download, Save, Install the latest supported HP version of the HP Support Assistant

Website / Information / Video / White Paper / Download

HP Support Assistant

Reminder – Manually Update the BIOS

NOTES

1. The suggestion to always manually install BIOS updates is based on my experience. 
  2. If you do not agree with this assessment, simply ignore the suggestion.

HP Documents – How to Update the BIOS

HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

How to install BIOS Updates:

Always connect the computer to AC Power and leave the power connected during the entire BIOS update procedure.

Select the option to manually install the BIOS update.

Open HPSA Software

Settings > Set to “Notify” as opposed to “Auto-Update”

Save Changes > Restart the computer and log in

Open HPSA

Check for Updates > Use the list to determine candidates for update

• Click on each update in the list to see a short description of that package
  • If BIOS is offered, simply set to “ignore” or otherwise remove this update from list of potential updates
  • If desired:  Install other HP software and updates using HPSA or manually install those updates

Check Current BIOS version

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > System Information

System Summary - Check the information next to BIOS Version / Date 

==============================================================

Comments

HPSA does not do especially well when there are never any updates for the Operating System running on the computer.  For this reason, at the point at which a machine enters that part of its life where updates are no longer occurring on a regular basis, it is not necessary (or particularly useful) that you continue to use and depend on the HPSA for monitoring.

HPSA is not mandatory software.  If HPSA does not, will not, cannot work on your computer, consider that thousands (possibly millions) of people never use the HP Support Assistant.  Instead these people choose to use a simple check/download-save.install method to keep their computer's software current.  Can't remember to check?  Send yourself a note to do so.

HPSA - at this writing - does not at all like trying to look for Updates for an unsupported Operating System / version.  For example, if your computer came with an older version of Windows (Windows 7, for example) and the computer was later updated to an unsupported version of Windows (Windows 10, for example), the HPSA might sputter, hang, and endlessly circle in a vain attempt to find updates for the unsupported OS.  Emphasis on "might" - the software might actually tell you that the version on the computer is unsupported by the support website.

HPSA does not always deal with a BIOS update in a manner that is best for the situation.  Be aware.

=================================================

Help and Troubleshooting for HPSA

READ:  Get help and Learn about the HPSA software

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant - Windows 8.x and Windows 10

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions.  I still have the same problem.  For whatever the reason, my HP Desktop HPSA software thinks my HP Laptop needs updates, but it doesn't according to its HPSA software.  

HP Recommended

@OldSchool1948 

@OldSchool1948 wrote:

I followed the instructions.  I still have the same problem.  For whatever the reason, my HP Desktop HPSA software thinks my HP Laptop needs updates, but it doesn't according to its HPSA software.  

Not sure I understand what you mean.  ?

What is HP Desktop HPSA software as compared to "its HPSA" software?

IF you are referring to the following,

HPSA installed on a Desktop computer that monitors updates for that computer

and that Desktop is also showing as reference another computer in HPSA > My Devices, for example, your Notebook computer,

Then

HPSA, while it can "add" other computers on the network in My Devices, does not also have the ability to always track the updates for the "other" computer.  

Removing and reloading HPSA on the Desktop MIGHT fix the additional mention of the Notebook in "My Devices" though, in truth, I am not aware that it could absolutely do so.

Regardless, there is little to do other than remove and install a fresh copy of the HP Support everywhere it is installed and try again.

Sometimes the answer is, "OK, it does not work", or "I don't know".

Rats.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

On my laptop, the "My device" icon doesn't have any errors.  On my desktop, the "My device" icon shows 20 errors.  When I click on it, the errors are listed for my laptop. 

I uninstalled and reinstalled the software on my desktop as per the instructions, thinking that would solve this problem; it did not.

HP Recommended

@OldSchool1948 

OK.  Then it won't.

The best you can do is restrict the monitoring to the device on which the HPSA is installed.

This means - in spite of the HPSA claiming it can monito the notebook from the Desktop,

The Desktop HPSA should not be trusted to keep track of the notebook.  Regardless, you could not update the notebook from the Desktop anyway - the Desktop can "see" the notebook; it cannot interact with it (to do updates, for example).

Consider:  Remove the notebook from the Desktop HPSA.

Remove Devices from HP Support Assistant

If you have the HPSA software installed but it is not on your Taskbar (by choice),

Windows key > list by "All Apps" > scroll to category H >

Open Section HP Help and Support

Open the HP Support Assistant

Open HPSA

Tab My Devices

Click on an "old" or unwanted device, that is, a device that you do not own and / or do not wish HPSA to manage or "see".

Click on "Edit this device"

Click on "Remove this device"

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.