Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset VR1000-100nn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I recently bought a HP VR HEADSET (Consumer edition, not developer). I tested the headset on my laptop, and it worked great. When i plugged it on my desktop, it didn't recognized it. The portal didn't open, so i opened "Device Manager" and only a "Generic SuperSpeed USB HUB" showed up. If i open the Portal manually, then i get the message "Connect the VR headset". Now, if i plug the headset in an  USB 2.0 port, it recognizes it (in Device Manager i can see "Mixed Reality devices" and "Hololens Sensors" connected), the portal auto-opens, it starts loading and then obiouvsly it says "Plug the headset in a USB 3.0 port".

List of solutions i already tried:

-Reboot the pc

-Try to plug the headset to another usb 3.0 port

-Try to plug the headset to an EXTERNAL usb 3.0 hub, powered EXTERNALLY by AC current

-Uninstall/reinstall USB 3.0 drivers

-Install an Insider build of Windows 10

- Reinstall Windows

That's my rig:

CPU: AMD FX 8300

GPU: R9 270 ( I'll soon buy a GTX 1060 to replace this GPU), DRIVER: 22.19.162.4 (WDDM 2.2)

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MhZ

MOBO: ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0

USB: Controller host ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible - 0.96 (Microsoft)

PS: The "Mixed Reality Compatibility Check" says that my pc CAN run WMR.

Please help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@LeoPeink

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I did some more research about the issue and found that the issue has been resolved for a few users, who've removed the ASUS utility as there's a conflict that creates issues as the one we are going through, I recommend you uninstall the same and retry using it.

Also, if the issue persists, refer to this link for information: Click here

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@LeoPeink

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the HP Mixed reality headset works on the HP laptop but not on the Asus desktop,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you contacted the Asus support for assistance? considering everything works fine on the HP Laptop?

Did the headset installation wizard turn on or is it that it doesn't get detected as a mixed reality headset?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

Before installing the HMD, prepare the computer by using the following steps:

1. Ensure you are using Windows 10 Creators Update or later for Windows Mixed Reality support.

For further information about system requirements, installation, and troubleshooting, see the Microsoft article, Install the tools.

For more information see the Microsoft article, Immersive headset support.

2. You need an administrator user account, and then you need to sign in with a Microsoft Managed Service account.

3. Check Windows System updates and install any drivers that need to be updated.

4. Enable full kernel mode dump.

5. Enable Developer mode from Settings > Update & Security > For Developers.

6. Enable full diagnostics from Settings > Privacy > Feedback & diagnostics.

7. Copy MRValidationKit to the PC.

8. Reboot the system.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The ASUS support told me "Your motherboard SHOULD BE able to run usb 3.0 devices", when it can't. When i plug my headset and the drivers installed are "Controller host ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible - 0.96 (Microsoft)" then my headset is NOT recognized, and the portal does not open automatically (if i manually open it, it says "Connect the headset")

If i use "ASMedia USB 3.0 Drivers" (not microsoft ones) my headset WILL APPEAR on device manager and the portal WILL OPEN ITSELF but then i get error 2181038087-12. 

(microsoft troubleshooting: "If error 2181038087-12 happens, install MICROSOFT usb3 drivers)

Anyway, tomorrow i'll install this (https://www.amazon.it/porte-Inateck-3-0-connettore-connettore-y-c%C3%A2ble/dp/B00FPIMJEW/ref=sr_1_1?...) USB 3.0 PCI-E card, and i'll se if it helps.

EDIT: Full kernel mode dump is already enabled, also is Developer Mode.

What is "MRValidationKit"?

Please keep replying, i really need help.

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

@LeoPeink

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Just to confirm the USB 3.0 ports work with other devices?
if it does and yet, the WMR doesn't work, I recommend you Contact HP to have the device either repaired or replaced accordingly:

(Considering, we have done everything possible to resolve the issue)

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution".

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Please, with full respect, check out my first post: the headset WORKS FINE on a laptop, i just can't get it to work on my USB 3 on my desktop. I was just asking if there is anything i can do to solve this... (i don't want to replace the motherboard)
HP Recommended

@LeoPeink

Thank you for responding,

I appreciate the details,

That said, you may want to create a new user account and check if the USB 3.0 port works, if not, you may have to resort to a push button reset,

followed by a test on the USB ports to ensure it's functionality as it doesn't seem to work with the headset.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi, thank you for your reply.
The USB port works fine with others USB 2 devices (i don't have a USB 3 device to test it) . Tried to use another account on my pc (an Admin account, like the one i tested the headset with) but without success. Sorry, i didn't understand what "resort to a push button reset" means.
HP Recommended

@LeoPeink

Windows 10 has a push-button reset feature that repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system.

This can be done either while preserving your personal data and customization, or removing all your personal data.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

That said, I recommend you obtain any other USB 3.0 device from a friend or a neighbor to check if the port works before we perform the above steps.

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you again for your reply.
I disabled USB power saving in Control Panel and now my pc recognizes the headset and opens the Mixed Reality Portal, but i have another problem now... The headset works fine for 10 seconds, then i get a complete blue screen on the headset and the portal restarts. Is this a GPU driver problem...? Because i'll soon buy a GTX 1060 to replace my R9 270!

basically my headset crashes some seconds after i plug the headset in.

EDIT: the Headset now shows correctly as a "HP Mixed Reality Headset" in Device Manager.

EDIT 2: In Event Viewer, i can see this error when my headset crashes: 

"A problem occurred with one or more drivers in user mode, the host process has been disabled."

Error source: DriverFrameworks-UserMode

Error ID: #10110

HP Recommended

@LeoPeink

I did some more research about the issue and found that the issue has been resolved for a few users, who've removed the ASUS utility as there's a conflict that creates issues as the one we are going through, I recommend you uninstall the same and retry using it.

Also, if the issue persists, refer to this link for information: Click here

Keep me posted,

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.