Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Envy Desktop Computer running Windows 10. The hard disc has a C Windows partition and a D Data partition. The C partition is nearly full as everything is being written to it and the D Data partition has no data on it. I would like to merge the D partition with the C partition. Could anybody tell me how to do this please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I understand how the C: drive got that way and it will make it even more complicated but the reason it got that way is still the same.  The only way to cure the situation is to do as I said in my first post.  There is another alternative but it requires replacing the C: drive with a larger drive.  You can do either solution - replace the C: drive with a larger drive either regular type or SSD type or move everything and go into each item and direct it to the D;

Actually the simplest way would be to replace the SSD with a larger one - 1TB SSD drives are not too expensive now, it you live in the USA.  Then reinstall Windows 10 and use the backup to put it all on the new drive.  Alternative to that would be to clone the older SSD to the new SSD.  If you decide to replace the SSD, find the existing SSD and verify the type of drive as it could possibly be either an M.2 or SATA III (using the regular SATA interface).

I know of no way to do as was originally asked about merging the two drives since they are separate drives.

BTW: while I understand the reason you posted the model number that way, that is still not the complete model number.  It should look similar to this:  HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0050 where the xx is replaced with numbers.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Without the model number I will generalize.  It seems the C: drive is SSD and therefore smaller of the two.  The d drive is probably a typical hard drive and therefore the two cannot be merged.  Any application that has been installed should have been directed to use the D drive when the programs was installed.  Doing that "after the fact" can be troublesome or impossible.  It might mean that each software package will need to be reinstalled and then told to use the d drive.  Check each to see if they can be directed to use the d drive instead of the C: drive.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

My model is HP Envy 795-00xx running Windows 10 64 bit. CPU i5-8400 2.8 ghz with 8gb memory.

The storage is Drive 1 C:(WINDOWS) 118gb (35.16GB FREE)

Drive 2 D:(DATA)           931.51gb(916.35GB FREE)

E:(RECOVERY)    14.89gb(1.73GB FREE)  

The machine is fairly new and replaces a computer that had a hard drive that failed. The programs and data came from a backup which, when recovered, all went to the C Drive. As you can see my D Drive is empty and the C Drive nearly full. With this fuller explanation is your solution still the same?          

HP Recommended

I understand how the C: drive got that way and it will make it even more complicated but the reason it got that way is still the same.  The only way to cure the situation is to do as I said in my first post.  There is another alternative but it requires replacing the C: drive with a larger drive.  You can do either solution - replace the C: drive with a larger drive either regular type or SSD type or move everything and go into each item and direct it to the D;

Actually the simplest way would be to replace the SSD with a larger one - 1TB SSD drives are not too expensive now, it you live in the USA.  Then reinstall Windows 10 and use the backup to put it all on the new drive.  Alternative to that would be to clone the older SSD to the new SSD.  If you decide to replace the SSD, find the existing SSD and verify the type of drive as it could possibly be either an M.2 or SATA III (using the regular SATA interface).

I know of no way to do as was originally asked about merging the two drives since they are separate drives.

BTW: while I understand the reason you posted the model number that way, that is still not the complete model number.  It should look similar to this:  HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0050 where the xx is replaced with numbers.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.