Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8100 Elite SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Product Name: HP Compaq 8100 Elite SFF

Processor Type: Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 660@3.33GHZ

Memory Size: 6GB DDR3/1333 MHz/ Dual Channel

Channel A

XMM1 2048MB / XMM2 2048 MB

Channel B

XMM3 2048 MB / XMM4 0 MB

System BIOS: 786H1 v01.05

Currently Installed OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Graphics: Onboard Intel Graphics

Hard Drive: 320GB WD

What are the things to consider before upgrading to Windows 10?

I visited HP official website for drivers but no options there for Windows 10 64-bit. So I'm worried that I will get problems even though I'm gonna installed it successfully.

1. Do I need to update my system BIOS first to the latest?
2. Does 6GB of RAM is enough for Windows 10 64-bit?
3. Some of threads here has BSOD errors, memory errors, stuck errors etc.

----Update-----

Planning to dual boot Windows 7 with Windows 10.

Questions:

1. Can I do that without problems?

2. Will Windows 7 stay untouched? regarding with drivers, license key etc.

3. Does currently installed BIOS version will also get save upon backing up system image by using Macrium Reflect?

Is this correct?
1. Backup currently installed system image by using Macrium Reflect.
2. Partition Drive
3. Update BIOS to the latest version.
4. Download Windows 10 and make it bootable or
5. Click setup.exe
6. Install Windows 10 and select custom installation.
7. Select Partition Drive.
8. Upon Windows 10 boots...
Check all drivers at Device Manager
9. Update Windows 10 drivers (if it has)
10. Monitor CPU Usage, Temperature , Disk Usage etc. if there are glitches.
11. Then, that's it!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@jhun1225 

You're correct in being concerned about the lack of HP Win10 drivers -- so BEFORE you do the upgrade, follow the information below about making an image  backup of your PC; that way, if the upgrade goes badly or if the PC does not work well afterward, you have something to restore FROM.

------------------------

I personally prefer to use third-party Backup solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

-------------------------

HP BIOS updates are OS-version specific, so if there is a Win7 BIOS update you have not applied, you have to do that BEFORE you do the Win10 update -- as it will not install afterward.

6GB is more than enough memory for using Win10.

You can't LEGALLY run both Win7 and Win10 using the same license -- but fortunately, MS does not enforce that rigidly.  But if your Win7 install should become deactivated later, due to the same license being used for Win10, you will not then be able to reactivate it.

Also, when you go to do the update, do NOT, repeat NOT, boot from the Win10 install media.  If you do that, it will overwrite Win7 and you will not then be able to reuse Win7 at all.   Instead, insert the USB stick containing Win10, find the folder for the files, right-click on the setup.exe file and run it.  That will start the in-place Update.  When you get a popup window asking for a product key, scroll down to the bottom of the window and select the option to skip it.  When the upgrade is done and you go online, the PC will contact the MS Activation Servers and will activate automatically.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, @jhun1225 

I have the HP 8000 Elite and 8200 Elite CMTs, so your 8100 Elite is right between those models.

From first hand experience I can tell you that the latest version of W10 should work just fine on your model.

The only driver you should need to install would be the one for the PCI serial port, so use the W7 AMT driver for that one.

Let me know if you have any issues.

I do recommend you install a cheap low profile graphics card that has better driver support for W10.

My go to card is the Dell low profile Radeon HD 6450.  They are very cheap to buy in used but tested and working condition on eBay,  I like the fanless models.  Silent and no fan to conk out on you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-AMD-Radeon-HD-6450-1GB-PCIe-DDR3-DP-DVI-6XMMP-Low-Profile-Video-Card/1...

The only isolated issues I have heard of regarding the 8000, 8100 and 8200 Elite PC's are from those who have the onboard Intel graphics.

HP Recommended

First of all, thank you for your kind response, WaWood. I will consider all that you've said, one by one.

I will just update this thread.

------Update-----

Let us say, I have done backing up my current image system. 

1. I'm planning to buy Windows 10 license key. So now, am I able to use both Windows 7 and Windows 10 without issues?

2. Regarding with what you've said in Win10 install media, Is this with booting the PC from USB or just accessing the USB in explorer? so I can find the setup.exe

3. I prefer to download the Windows 10 iso file (4.91GB) from Microsoft website.

4. There are online stores in our country that sells Windows 10 license key (Home/Pro) in cheap prices. Is that okay to use?

HP Recommended

Thank you for your kind response, Paul!

Thanks for confirming that Windows 10 should also work with my PC.

I will consider also all that you've said.

-------Update-------

1. There are three BIOS Driver Update in HP Website. Can you tell me what BIOS update should I download? I'm confused if HP Compaq 8100 Elite SFF is business PC or not.

2. Can I just use the integrated graphic display first to know if I can run Windows 10 before buying the graphics card that you've recommended?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

W10 will run on the onboard Intel HD graphics.

This was the last BIOS update released for your PC...

1.13 Rev. A        Jul 14, 2011

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp53501-54000/sp53945.exe

HP Recommended

Thank you again, Paul!

HP Recommended

Anytime

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.