Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp

How can I lock the c drive so all the software files and folders are not distorted or deleted? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Can Windows run, if you do not allow it to:

1. create "Temporary Internet Files" when you use a web-browser
  2. save any "bookmarks" or "favorites" in your web-browser
  3. allow the anti-virus software to update itself
  4. allow Windows Update to run
  5. allow the Adobe Updater to run
  6. allow the iTunes Updater to run

???

Instead, look at free software such as "Macrium Reflect" to make a "clone" of your "C:" disk-drive onto another disk-drive. Run it weekly. Then, if you encounter a problem, you can "clone" from the backup drive onto your "C:" drive. But, you will lose any files on "C:" that have changed in the few days since you made the "clone".

HP Recommended

@SpinXO3 

I do NOT understand your issue.  Your apps are not going to get deleted -- I do not know why you think they will.

I do not know what you mean by "distorted" so I can not help with that.

If you lock up permissions on the "C" drive, Windows will not work. 

You got sound advice from @itsmyname 

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I do not know why you think they will.

The author may have a fear of a computer-virus that may "distort" (maybe the author's first language is not English, and thus did not use a more-appropriate word?) or delete the apps.

I have seen one case of an autistic child who "formatted" his grandmother's "C:" disk-drive, thus "distorting" everything. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.