Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1534PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

How fix problem where typing a 'u' or 'y', via keyboard, causes typed text to highlight and delete?

While entering text in Word, email, numbers,characters or writing this explanation, when a 'u' or 'y' is typed the following happens:

1.  Immediately, the typing stops.

2.  Trying to continue the very next character causes all of the previous text, etc. to get highlighted.

3.  After that happens, typing the very next anything, even 'Enter', clears the window of text, etc.

4.  I can do a 'right-click' and pick 'undo', which restores the text.

5.  After that, I can continue typing until I enter the next 'u' or 'y' and, I think, other vowels...not sure though.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Punice 

The specs for this model PC indicate it came out in 2013 -- and if you are still using the same keyboard that came with it, my guess is that the keyboard is failing.

You would need to plug in a different keyboard to see if that makes a difference.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

WAWood, 

I was hoping that it was an 'HP' caused problem and fixable by a software patch or something.

The problem existed from the beginning of my purchasing the pc, new.  I tolerated the problem,

but thought I'd give the HP forum experts an opportunity to tell me how to eliminate the problem.

Guess no one else had the problem.  So, I'll buy a new keyboard, a wireless one, and see if that

solves the problem.  I'll report the results, after that.

Thank you for you response.

Punice

HP Recommended

@Punice 

Wiireless keyboards cost a lot more than wired --as I've seen the latter on sale locally for under $10 USD.  IF you just want to see if a different keyboard will work, I would spend the least amount of money and get a wired one.

But, it's your money -- it's your choice.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.