Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Z220 CMT Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently bought a kit of two new rams: Ballistix 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 UDIMM
but I'm not able to clock them at their full potential (they are working at 800MHZ!!!) via K51 v.01.54 BIOS...

Some specs about the HP PC (HP Z220 CMT Workstation😞

immagine.png

As you can see they are working together with other two old rams (more details below), but they can work at 1600MHz too!!

Some specs about the rams and the clocks they are actually working with (CPU-Z software😞

So actually this is the resultant performance...

immagine.png

..a mixture between the highest values of the 4rams above of course (I mean about CL, tRCD, tRP and tRAS) but they are working at 800MHZ when they can work at 1600MHZ!!

I think I have checked almost everything:

So the point now is how to configure it (!!).. unfortunately I'm not able and I need your help!!

I already tried:

• to look for the XMP feature inside the K51 v.01.54 Bios without being able to find it..
    and really I'm not even sure this is the right approach cause the 2 oldest rams don't have it so it could be the wrong path to be followed..
  • I haven't found where to manually set the RAM frequency like in other BIOS versions too!! (as shown in some youtube tutorials etc.)
  • I tried to sacrifice the 4GB of the two oldest rams (disconnecting them) but the PC preformances seems to be the same!! (No XMP feature present inside the Bios too)
  • I also looked at other open questions inside the HP forum like this one, trying to "disable Secure Boot [...] and enabled Legacy Mode" but even for me this is not working..

What do you think?? Is there someone that can help me with this?!?

It has become a really pain in the ass and I really need help from someone, please!!

Thank you very much in advance!
Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Grzwacz wrote:

.... When I check the frequency of the 2133 RAM using CPUID the DRAM frequency is about 1067 MHz.

@Grzwacz

Well, 1067MHz is around half on 2133 MHz. RAM runs dual channel (two channels) therefore each channel is 50% therefore that why 1067 MHz comes from.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi Peter,

Everything is working properly and the dimms are working at the full potential for the 1600 mhz dimms that you are using.

A "k" processor is typically needed to support Intel XMP memory clocks along with BIOS support.  I can't say that the spec's for your PC and the BIOS functionality will allow anything faster than 1600 mhz dimms.

I typically don't intermix dimms and stick I with HP's older recommendation to use dimms with the same CAS.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi Peter

DDR2, DDR3, and DDR4 memory modules double the data rate without having to proportionally ramp up the clock frequency.

My PC has DDR 2133 RAM.

When I check the frequency of the 2133 RAM using CPUID the DRAM frequency is about 1067 MHz.

I am pretty sure your RAM modules are performing as advertised.

Grzy

HP Recommended

@Grzwacz wrote:

.... When I check the frequency of the 2133 RAM using CPUID the DRAM frequency is about 1067 MHz.

@Grzwacz

Well, 1067MHz is around half on 2133 MHz. RAM runs dual channel (two channels) therefore each channel is 50% therefore that why 1067 MHz comes from.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi banhien.

Thanks for your input.

It is good to see you, Big_Dave, and I all agree there is nothing wrong with Peter's RAM.

GRzy

HP Recommended

@Grzwacz

Wait to learn about how DDR4 runs.:smileysurprised:

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I didn't know that!!

Thank you guys for your very quick answers, I have really appreciated it!! (@ @ @)

Many thanks,
Peter

HP Recommended

I have buyed ddr4 rams (3000 mhz) but it runs at 2133 mhz, when im going in the bios, there isn't af option for increase my rams, what should i do? 

HP Recommended

Hi Adam699,

Many OEM PC's don't provide BIOS overclocking options.

You are limited to stock memory speeds.

Regards

HP Recommended

So i need a new motherboard to set my ram speed to 3000 mhz?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.